Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Noted.. but.. the main purpose of my post was really my comment on what a great place this is for a complete newbie such as myself. I have been reading for hours daily over the past couple of weeks... trying to wrap my head around this diesel world I'm now a part of....

Thanks for the info
:thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with your post, I just woulda left off the "adding to my post count" comment. :hehe:

It's all good. Glad you're enjoying the forum.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Picking up an 02 2500 quad cab long bed. 5.9 HO 6spd 156k miles on Thursday. Anything specific to look for?
Id check for rust along the rockers and inside the bottom of the doors. I'm sure that's a good place to start. It's just like buying anything else check your fluids blah blah blah. How much you find that for?

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
The only thing the ho has over the regular trucks is stock hp and 6 gears. They don't like programming as much as sovp trucks do. But none the less if taken care of you will enjoy. Good luck. And don't be afraid to walk away if you get spooked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help

On the way to work today My 2001 3500 dully's heater stopped working and the power windows and door locks. the abs,airbag lites came on and the compass is stuck on east and it's reading 51 degrees. any Ideas ????

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is nice that you guys are trying to organize the site and all... but where's the follow through? The very first post has a nice list of subjects I'm interested in... Where are the links?

·
Registered
8 Posts
On the way to work today My 2001 3500 dully's heater stopped working and the power windows and door locks. the abs,airbag lites came on and the compass is stuck on east and it's reading 51 degrees. any Ideas ????
Sounds like you have some bad grounds! Grab the service manual and look in the wiring diagrams to find the common ground point and clean it off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
first dually

Hey guys i joined the forum not too long ago because i was looking for a cummins. So i finally got one. Its a 1999 3500 Dually 4x4 Extended cab with the 24 valve of course. I came here to do some research about it. First thing i wanna say is, how do i know if i have the 53 block? i want to do alot of things to this truck. It needs some work, typical dodge rust on all doors. I will soon be straight piping it maybe a 5 inch. Ill be on here quite alot asking and getting to know my truck a little more. Sorry for all the newbie questions, its my first cummins. Thanks in advanced

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Hey guys i joined the forum not too long ago because i was looking for a cummins. So i finally got one. Its a 1999 3500 Dually 4x4 Extended cab with the 24 valve of course. I came here to do some research about it. First thing i wanna say is, how do i know if i have the 53 block? i want to do alot of things to this truck. It needs some work, typical dodge rust on all doors. I will soon be straight piping it maybe a 5 inch. Ill be on here quite alot asking and getting to know my truck a little more. Sorry for all the newbie questions, its my first cummins. Thanks in advanced
Welcome,
If you have not found your block ID its on the drivers side under the injection pump behind the fat wire harness just about the oil pan or, look on the passenger side under the oil filter--you can see this from the top leaning over the battery with a flash light. The numbers are big, maybe an inch or so.
I like your rust comment!!! I am from Kalamazoo Mi. and know what you mean by the typical rust. For the past 13 years i have been here in Louisiana and the typical rust deal is not an issue. I scored a 1985 D150 that still has ALL the black paint on the frame also the brake and fuel lines are still shinny at the fittings. My 01 is in the same boat and my 12 Mega looks brand new under it, I was admiring it while adding the exhaust delete kit last summer.
Anyway, I got a chuckle out of the rust comment only because I was so taken back with the condition of sheet metal down here, even the ones in junk yards or solid, just faded paint and sunburned sheet metal with surface oxidation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys! I wanted to join a couple forums related to cummins' because I'm 17, I love trucks and I want my first one to be a 2nd gen Cummins. I haven't worked on an engine in years though. Me and my "dad" used to work on them all the time. Since then, I've forgotten a bunch of stuff that I knew. So if I ask dumb or nooby questions, that's why. I also don't know anyone that owns a 2nd gen or a cummins at all.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there!
I'm a super newbie...new to this forum and new to diesels in general so please bear with me. I want to learn all I can and find that people like all of you can provide better information than most books can. With that being said I do need to purchase an owners manual and repair manual :)
I just bought a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 24V and I'm looking for general "do's" and "don't do's" as far as taking the best care of it possible.
Things like fuel additives? yes or no and any recommendations? How often?
Operating temps of engine and transmission? I'm assuming it's transmission as I have a "trans temp" gauge.
Common problems and things to look out for...
Pretty much any advice you can give a newbie I will be happy to absorb.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello fellow Cummins fans.

I have been a diesel fan for 45+ years and knew Dodge had a winner when they first put an industrial Cummins in there pickup trucks. I/we have both a 1989 and a 1999 Dodge Ram Cummins powered trucks. Best vehicles we have ever owned.

Cheers

Peter

101 - 113 of 113 Posts