Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unless you modify your front suspension, transmission etc, you will have issues, if you P pump you will not have to worry about the ECM, it will not run fuel management. That is what I would do if I was using a 1500 as engine is so heavy
That is what I thought. I have been hearing conflicting information. Thank you!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am a newbie. I think some people get confused if the information they are looking for is in an old thread

·
Registered
49 Posts
I meant to say also that I think that for the 24-valve trucks the most common issues that can be fixed better than factory should be a thread or sticky. These are issues that almost every owner will experience no matter what they use their truck for. People love the longevity of the Cummins engine but taking care of the few weak links early on can save a lot of head aches or expense.
-fuel pressure gauge or warning light or both
-lift pump options
-2stroke oil in fuel to condition VP44
-death wobble OE/better than OE components
-death wobble aftermarket fixes
-5th gear "disappear"
-53 block

·
Registered
34 Posts
#20 Silencer rings shouldn't exist, plus it gives the truck a much nicer tone in the exhaust if you have an after market exhaust

·
Registered
7 Posts
Finally joined the Cummins Family

I've been a Dodge guy for 20+ years, currently have a 99 Quad Sport 4X4 with a Ranchhand Pusher, Roll bar with 5 KC lights, and Brush Guards - the wife calls it my Redneck Ride....

Yesterday I ran across a 2000 CTD Quad 4X4 Long Box with only 156K that was rolled in the Ice we had last week. It is from the original owner and is Factory Bone Stock except for the 9 month old Dodge Rebuilt Tranny. It has 80% tires and I picked it up for $2200 with a Clean Title!! :party018:

I picked up a Red donor truck with a bad 5.9 in it for $500 and am gonna do a cab and front end swap (it only needs a front fender, but if I'm gonna go from White to Red may as well go all the way...) Still trying to decide if I will seek a new long box or just put a flat on it...

So, since I am new to Cummins, I'm wondering what basics I need to do right away to keep the 24V purring?? Thanks in advance for any help....

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Dumb newbie question. Sorry as I am fairly new to this. What good does it do to reset the Apps? From what I've read. It really needs to be done after "changing tire size" or any other modifications/mechanical fixes. Any input on this would greatly be appreciated. Also how do you reset it exactly?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was reading one of the threads where people were talking about different additives toadd to your fuel to help your VP44 pump last longer....? Any good suggestions? Even had one person say they added two cycle oil boat oil to his and another marvel mystery oil? Installing a Titanium Fass 150 and a new VP44 on my 01 6 speed today.... So I want to make sure they are taken care of. Any suggestions on those additives and also amounts of those additives included along with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Still learning this site not sure if this the right section. But I have a 2000 24valve and its surging at random times but when I press on the brake hard it will stop it. The truck had 0.93 injection lines and bigger injection tubes not sure on the size but I put stock Lines on and tubes now the truck only has 150hp injectors and lift pump. That's all that's done to it and its still doing it. The grid heater is unhooked the guy before did it because he thought it was causing the problem but it kept doing then others said it was the lines

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm new here and new to cummins. I have a 99 cummins 2WD truck. I has a banks power elbow and straight 4" exhaust all the way out. It is pretty damn loud and takes a while to heat up. Is it better to leave it straight pipe or should I add a muffler like a banks monster?

Is it better for the engine to have some back pressure?

Thanks

DC

61 - 80 of 113 Posts