Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Newbie seeking assistance

1K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  userunknown 
#1 ·
Hello all!

I am new to this forum, and new to vehicles generally. I am planning to purchase my first vehicle ever, and after much research I have decided to go with a first gen cummins dodge, for reasons I won't go into here.

I found a truck on eBay that looks REALLY nice. I posted once before on this forum and someone suggested that if I ever needed help checking out a truck from a distance, I should ask here and someone might be willing to help. The truck is in Portland , OR and I am in Montana. If anyone in the Portland area is so enthusiastic about these trucks that they would go test drive one for me and report back, I would be forever indebted.

I know this inquiry is a little out there, but I also know that this may be the truck for me and it is just too far for me to go for a test drive myself.

Here is the link. Thanks for listening!

Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More |eBay

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

See less See more
#3 ·
#7 ·
That thing is nice. Surprised its a 92 though, tailgate and steering wheel dont match but maybe because its not an LE.

Very clean. I think thats a good price. Thats super low miles and that truck looks really clean. As long as its as good as he makes it out to be I think its a fair price. Not sure Id pay much more for it though. Maybe if it was a club cab

Reactions: jeffrymbothe
#8 ·
Sure I saw that one on Craigslist in the last month or so. Seems like a decent truck. Wish it was closer to me so I could help out.

#9 ·
So a little background info on this truck: this is the second time it has been listed on eBay. The first time it was listed, it sold for $15,000. I contacted the seller when I saw it relisted, and he said the winning bidder couldn't come up with the funds to pay.

I know that price tag seems extreme, but $15,000 seems to be the average for first gens under 100k miles, at least on eBay.

#10 ·
W O W
$15k seems high, even with the low miles, but I'm a cheapskate too.

#11 ·
Shooooooottttt, Mine is only a 2WD and has 200,000 mile on it with a new motor and trans, I paid $1000. 15,000 seem pretty excessive.

It is a pretty truck but that sure seems ridiculous

#12 ·
I know! The prices I have seen on eBay have always seemed excessive to me, but for some reason people are willing to pay. My guess is that, on one hand, folks shopping on eBay are a lot like me, no deep knowledge of the value of trucks, or knowledge of where to get a good deal, and on the other hand, it's just a function of auctions where people get into bidding wars over stuff they think they have to have.

Does anyone have any suggestions of better places to go looking for a first gen cummins dodge, besides eBay? I live in between Bozeman, MT and Butte, MT. I am willing to travel somewhat.

I am looking for a 92 or a 93, manual transmission, 4x4, no gooseneck hitch nor trailer brake. I can't use the classifieds thru this forum because there is a rule that says you have to be a member for more than 30 days and you have to have posted at least 50 times.

Thanks for all your input!

#14 ·
Yeah the prices of 1st Gen truck is really starting to climb. In the last year or so the prices have slowly been creeping up.

I think it's the old supply and demand. Also I think guys are tired of always having their 2/3/4th Gen cummins trucks in for repairs, so are bailing on them and buying up these sweet 1st Gen's.

#16 ·
*new business idea. Buy 1st gens, fix them up, sell them on eBay. Rinse. Repeat.

Those all look like they are in very good shape, which is different then the thrashed out things I own/see. Seriously, though, I had no idea these rides had a premium like that.

#21 ·
If I had the cash I'd flip that 4x4 in Indiana. Or drink and gamble it away by betting on the Chiefs...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.