Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is significant about straight piping? whats the diff b/t that and gutting the cat?

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
what is significant about straight piping? whats the diff b/t that and gutting the cat?
First off : :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Second: Fill out your sig so everyone knows what you have.

Third: The cat has a bunch of small holes strait through it and it causes restriction for air flow.

A TBE exhaust will flow alot better than trying to gut the cat.

Most people do the 5" TBE exhaust either with or without the muffler.

They also use a high performace muffler.:thumbsup

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info. and correct me if im wrong, doesnt the muffler just serve the purpose of "muffling" the sound from the exhaust or will it help to add power? is a tbe exhaust a brand or a type of exhaust. i was looking at getting an mbrp exhaust b/c ive heard good things but im looking for the most power out of the exhaust portion of the truck that i can. and to answer your question about what i have, im currently deployed to iraq right now but plan on getting a 3rd gen model dodge cummins. thanks again!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hey ryan24 :welcome: I'm a former Marine and spent some time in the sandbox. Hope you're stayin safe bro!!! To answer your question "TBE" is Turbo Back Exhaust. There are many different manufacterers out there such as MBRP. I personally went with the Magnaflow 5" TBE w/ 6" tip. It deletes the cat and replaces the stock muffler with a muffler/resonator. It is all stainless steel. It looks and sounds great. Any system should give you roughly the same power gain as long as it is Turbo Back. It's mainly a matter of preference from there. Any other questions will be answered on this site, there is a wealth of info here. Again, stay safe and keep your head up (or down in a firefight eh).

·
Registered
634 Posts
Take it to a muff shop and have them pull the muff and the kitty and replace them with new pipe. Then if you want put a tip on if you want alitte more sound. You will get better performance and a better sound:welcome:

·
Registered
491 Posts
i would straight pipe it louder better sounding and a lot cheaper and TBE stands for turbo back exhaust

1 - 8 of 8 Posts