Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! many of you will be happy to hear that i finally got rid of my powerstroke and got a cummins, and i am very happy with the trade :thumbsup Since im new to the dodge world, does anyone have any advice on some quick things to do to my truck to help me get rolling? Any tricks or secrets to the motor would be helpfull. its a 2001 5.9 cummins quad cab short box 2wd. Im not looking at doing anything insane since it is my work truck. just a little extra power would be wonderful. Hope to hear from all you! :popcorn:

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
CAI, Exhaust, Edge Juce W/Attitude, Lift pump, & eather a clutch or Valve body & flex plate depending on if its an auto or standerd trany. Youll be flyin with better milage also:thumbsup

·
Registered
163 Posts
:welcome: you will find all the help and advise on here that you will ever need. This is truely a great bunch of people on here. :thumbsup

·
Registered
258 Posts
Congrats on the truck. I would recommend getting a fuel pressure gauge first to watch your lift pump. Maybe a performance lift pump, intake, exhaust, and small programer or injectors. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
If it's an auto, get a built trans,, that will make a huge difference, in mileage and power, and get a set of gauges..

Fuel pressure is very important to moniter.

Merrick

·
Registered
417 Posts
Congrats on the new truck, and glad to see ya made a good choice :thumbsup On your truck, I would suggest:

1. Upgrade your lift pump to a FASS or Airdog or something of the sort. The OE lift pumps are notorious for going out, and when that happens = $$$(most likely your VP44 will go out)
2. Fuel Pressure gauge
3. Other Gauges: for auto - tranny temp, pyrometer, and boost
for manual - pyrometer and boost
4. 4 inch exhaust at least
5. High flow air filter..I run an AFE stage 1 intake

And after that you can look into performance parts, but you're gonna have to watch how much you put on your stock drivetrain. The stock auto trannys and the stock clutches done like too much hp
But good luck and keep us updated:peelout

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm in the same situation with a similar truck, this is a dumb question but where should I go to get a better lift pump and fuel pressure gauge?

·
Registered
57 Posts
i started out w/ a smarty tst stack.
look into a smoke switch too.
oh yeah welcome to the forum you will love it here

·
Past IL VP
1,431 Posts
yep as Johnny 5 stated! get the Fuel pressure addressed! if you don't have a way to check the FP get after it!... since you are an Illinois resident check in @ the Illinois Forum!

Congrats on the new truck! :thumbsup we'll getcha hooked up w/ some toys for it!:$::$:

another 2nd gen to the bunch!:woot:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts