Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my first cummings it is a 02 2500 24 valve.

The problem, at time of purchase the truck ran fine. It had a new lift pump installed and about 100 km on the pump. The truck would start fine. It sat for 2 days then I went to start it and nothing. There was plenty of fuel coming out of the bleed valve. Yesterday I went out and nothing about one hour later I tried again and it fired right up, this morning I tried it again and it is dead. Any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Dead meaning it won't crank or does it crank and the engine won't fire up? If it cranks sometimes but not every time it could mean your starter contacts. Barring any dead batteries or other problems the starter contacts are an easy fix and around $30. I believe the company that has them is Foster Trucks.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,302 Posts

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
WHAT? Nobody is going to bag on him for misspelling Cummins? LOL!!!

Welcome aboard! You have some great help already on this thread.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry about the spelling, dead as in will not start but still cranks over as in no fuel.
I went out this morning about one hour after my first attempt and it fired up. This is the same result as yesterday. No I do not have a fuel pressure gauge yet.
I will test to pressure off the lift pump and get back.
The only code I can pull 1693 which I aready know is a companian code.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
crack the connector tube nut on the head and see if your getting fuel up to the injectors, it might just need bled, crack 1,3,4 injectors (the connector tube nuts) and have somebody crank over the truck, also try a shot of ether and see if it starts, try to check your codes again and see if anything else comes up besides the 1693, we aren't concerned about that code.

·
Registered
257 Posts
ewww ether is a last resort and only to be used with great care if you dont want to experience and ether lock...

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
ive used ether on over 20 trucks with no problems its called a shot not the whole can

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
ive used ether on over 20 trucks with no problems its called a shot not the whole can
Just ignore the ether comment. Besides he started his comment with "ewww". If anything the guy should be warned to disconnect his grid heaters. Other than that ether is fine...

Listen to mopar1973man. Need to know if you are getting any codes, and what your fuel pressure is, and that your current lift pump cuts the mustard. If those check out then bleed your fuel system.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,302 Posts
Sorry about the spelling, dead as in will not start but still cranks over as in no fuel.
I went out this morning about one hour after my first attempt and it fired up. This is the same result as yesterday. No I do not have a fuel pressure gauge yet.
I will test to pressure off the lift pump and get back.
The only code I can pull 1693 which I aready know is a companian code.
Impossible to have only the P1693 code by itsself...:doh:

Go here and watch the video...
OBD II Error Codes

You should see both P PCU and P ECU and 2 P DONE's

PCU is the powertrian controller unit (passenger firewall)
ECU is the engine controller unit (Driver side of the block)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts