Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been on this forum for a long time researching all different kinds of good stuff about the 4th gen.

I am 19, from Indiana, and I work at the coal mine. I have no bills other than my cell phone and future truck payment. I'm looking to get a 2010+ 6.7 cummins for pulling/farming/and personal commuter use.

What do you guys recommend for the 4th gens? Should I look into buying a used truck with everything deleted and already tuned or should I look into buying a new one?

This will be a pretty heavy purchase for me and I am really wanting to get the most bang for my $$.

Thanks guys, Ross.

·
Go Packers
9,053 Posts
You can look at it a couple of ways. Buying used can save money. No dealer will sell a deleted truck. Buying new has warranty, and you know from the first mile put on the truck, how it is taken care of. If money allows, get new, if not well, there are alot of fine used trucks out there. Just be cautious when making a final decision. Only you know for sure what you want. Best wishes and happy shopping. PS. If you do find a used truck, do yourself a huge favor and take it to a trusted mechanic to be looked at. To many times the seller does not tell the whole story, or may leave important facts out on purpose

·
Registered
232 Posts
Its almost not worth the money to buy a diesel unless you pull heavy things every now and again. But if you do buy one and go the used route. Don't buy a deleted truck. That's something you wanna do yourself. You never know what kinda driving behavior the previous owner had.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Bought mine used could not be happier, you still have a warranty used and exercised even while deleted. Nothing wrong with new if you got 50-60k, I only paid 36k with 2200 miles, only reason I wouldn't buy another diesel If I were doing a lot of city/traffic driving.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My price range honestly depends how long I can wait and how much I save up for a down payment. If I can save up quite a bit, then I'll be buying new. I don't plan on buying a truck to make it smoke and abusing it. If I were buying a Cummins for that reason, I'd be looking for a 1st or 2nd gen. What tuner would you guys recommend? I've heard nothing but good reviews from H&S. Also, what about a Cold air intake, and exhaust. I think everybody knows, the easiest HP gains are the air coming in and the air going out. I was thinking about Banks intake, and MBRP exhaust.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
My price range honestly depends how long I can wait and how much I save up for a down payment. If I can save up quite a bit, then I'll be buying new. I don't plan on buying a truck to make it smoke and abusing it. If I were buying a Cummins for that reason, I'd be looking for a 1st or 2nd gen. What tuner would you guys recommend? I've heard nothing but good reviews from H&S. Also, what about a Cold air intake, and exhaust. I think everybody knows, the easiest HP gains are the air coming in and the air going out. I was thinking about Banks intake, and MBRP exhaust.
Stock exhaust is fine, just need a downpipe/delete pipes, TBE in 4" gains you nothing at all, stock intake is not bad, you'll gain performance by replacing your intake elbow, I recommend the GDP.

Glacier Diesel Power - Product Detail

There is plenty you can do.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If I was your age and only wanted to haul dirt bikes and quads, I'd think about the new Ram 1500 that's going to have the V6 diesel option. No need to go out and buy a full size diesel truck with all the added expenses if you truely don't need the towing power.

The 1500 will likely be easier on insurance and I bet its going to be a pretty cool truck. In the end its what makes you happy, just thought I'd give you something to consider.

Good luck bud

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thats what i was suggesting earlier. Its nice having a diesel but if you dont need one then dont waste your money. Im guessing that new 1500 diesel is gonna get somewhere around 28mpg on the highway. THAT'S AWESOME! I had a 2010 f-150 before my 3rd gen and It was less than good for towing. My 3/4 ton 3rd gen can pull dang near anything and it gets 20mpg. Now my new 4th gen could probably pull everything but it gets horrible mileage. At least till I get the rest of my goodies in the mail.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:thumbsup:
If I was your age and only wanted to haul dirt bikes and quads, I'd think about the new Ram 1500 that's going to have the V6 diesel option. No need to go out and buy a full size diesel truck with all the added expenses if you truely don't need the towing power.

The 1500 will likely be easier on insurance and I bet its going to be a pretty cool truck. In the end its what makes you happy, just thought I'd give you something to consider.

Good luck bud
Dodge is coming out with a 1500 Cummins? :shock: I seriously had no clue! When is it supposed to be released or has it already?

Thats what i was suggesting earlier. Its nice having a diesel but if you dont need one then dont waste your money. Im guessing that new 1500 diesel is gonna get somewhere around 28mpg on the highway. THAT'S AWESOME! I had a 2010 f-150 before my 3rd gen and It was less than good for towing. My 3/4 ton 3rd gen can pull dang near anything and it gets 20mpg. Now my new 4th gen could probably pull everything but it gets horrible mileage. At least till I get the rest of my goodies in the mail.
I've heard that by deleting everything mpg can increase quite a bit. Who knows though, you guys are the diesel experts. I'm here for advice :thumbsup: How much for the new 1500 diesel?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stock exhaust is fine, just need a downpipe/delete pipes, TBE in 4" gains you nothing at all, stock intake is not bad, you'll gain performance by replacing your intake elbow, I recommend the GDP.

Glacier Diesel Power - Product Detail

There is plenty you can do.
thank you! this helped me a lot and my wallet :thumbsup:

Do you recommend any special brand of exhaust that gives out a nice sound?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I think it gets released by summers end, I saw it at the North American auto show. It's a V6 diesel (not a Cummins). The lines were so bad to get close I couldn't get a real good look at the little diesel. My guess its made by MB or maybe its an actual Chrysler design, either way Dodge is the first to offer the 1/2 ton market with a Green handle fueled pick up truck! Pretty cool and could be worth the wait for him as he saves some more cash

Reactions: Ross07

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's a Diesel but i dont think it's a Cummins !!!!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Do you have your own house or still live with parent/parents? If you don't have your own house, buy that first. Buy a used 1500/150 series truck, put your big payment into an investment. Not trying to be the financial expert, a diesel truck is expensive. I hate to see it hinder you when trying to purchase a house down the road, if you don't already own one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you have your own house or still live with parent/parents? If you don't have your own house, buy that first. Buy a used 1500/150 series truck, put your big payment into an investment. Not trying to be the financial expert, a diesel truck is expensive. I hate to see it hinder you when trying to purchase a house down the road, if you don't already own one.
I live with my parents still but there is no way my dad would let me purchase a house. He would much wrather let me purchase a cummins, pay it off, then go looking for an apartment/House. I'm rolling with a 1982 Chevy S10 V6 Durango edition right now, and its going to die soon.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I too am 18 yrs old. I just purchesed a cummins about a month ago, but I also have been living on my own since I got out of high school, as well as all of my own bills.(Phone, power, food, gas, insurense, internet, tv,etc) I work for pacific power here in oregon, and have a 20ft cargo trailer car hauler and quads, and a polaris RZR that I tow, and plan on buying a 5th wheel eventually down the road. I decided to go with the cummins simply because its gonna last me for a very long time as long as I want it to. I did how ever decide to go with a used pickup and bought a 04.5 with the 5.9 and I LOVE it! Whatever you decide your still gonna be an 19 yr old boy with a badass NEW(Almost NEW) pickup and who can complain about that!?! My advice is dont strap yourself down just to have a new truck. I personally would rather have a 1500 and be able to live on my own if i choose and have extra money to do stuff to my truck, and quads or go ride, and even better put in savings than a cummins and live month to month strapped for cash.. Thats just my two cents and take it for what you want. Good luck with whatever truck you buy and Im sure it will be bad buddy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I too am 18 yrs old. I just purchesed a cummins about a month ago, but I also have been living on my own since I got out of high school, as well as all of my own bills.(Phone, power, food, gas, insurense, internet, tv,etc) I work for pacific power here in oregon, and have a 20ft cargo trailer car hauler and quads, and a polaris RZR that I tow, and plan on buying a 5th wheel eventually down the road. I decided to go with the cummins simply because its gonna last me for a very long time as long as I want it to. I did how ever decide to go with a used pickup and bought a 04.5 with the 5.9 and I LOVE it! Whatever you decide your still gonna be an 19 yr old boy with a badass NEW(Almost NEW) pickup and who can complain about that!?! My advice is dont strap yourself down just to have a new truck. I personally would rather have a 1500 and be able to live on my own if i choose and have extra money to do stuff to my truck, and quads or go ride, and even better put in savings than a cummins and live month to month strapped for cash.. Thats just my two cents and take it for what you want. Good luck with whatever truck you buy and Im sure it will be bad buddy!
Thanks man. I love all the good vibed people on this forum! I also plan on buying a fifth wheel down the road once I have purchased a home. Another reason I want a Cummins. It will last me forever, and if I buy new, I'll always know how its been treated. I learned my lesson on my last sportbike to make sure and have my finances in order before I buy a toy because I was living paycheck to paycheck to pay for my bike. I plan on getting a truck that I can still take my girl out to eat, modify the dodge as I please, and just all around live comfortably without worries.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.