Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Question on service cost.

I have my in-laws 2008 Ram 2500w/285K miles. Long story short it sat for a few months and I recently started driving it. The water in fuel light came on, so I drained the filter multiple times and changed it. Ran a bunch of sea foam thru it and while that was going on it started having some serious issues. Ran rough between 1000-1400 RPMs and I got the check engine light. Codes showed misfire on cylinders 4 and 5. Tried more seafoam, didn't work and on the last drive with it started getting occasional knocking w/ alternating white and black smoke. So I took it to a local shop. They called and said injectors in cylinders 4-5 are shot and the others are probably not much better. Also said lots of water in the tank so they want to drop and clean the tank and flush the fuel system. Quoted price is $9300. My question is, is 9300 a reasonable price. Seems pretty steep but I dont know based on whats going on. Any advice you guys have to offer would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Sorry for your troubles, Number one thing when you get a water in fuel light you do not run or try and run your engine and then add an emulsifier instead of a dispersant. If there was water in your system and now you did more damage by adding seafoam to push it through your injectors at a very high pressure with zero lubrication. Flushing the system or replacing components like fuel rail, CP3 etc. should be confirmed. Injectors should be brand new Bosch OEM not remanufactured. So depending on those items may justify some of that cost. American or Canadian dollars? Keep it parked or you'll burn a hole in one of your pistons.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.