Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i know that the cummins is a strong engine, but i'm worried about the tranny. I'm lookin at a 95 4X4 and i took it for a test drive the other night and all seemed good, but it seemed to have long shifts. It wouldn't shift till 2700-2800 rpm. Now maybe i've been driving chevys too long, but is this normal?? Has approximately 30,000 on rebuild. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
788 Posts
I drove my Stock tranny with all my upgrades in my Signature. It will last you a while depending on how much pump work you will be doing to the truck. I Would not worry about it until after a 350+hp or drive it till it drops. And then just get one that will handle anthing you can throw at it and have fun.:peelout

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
seems like its shifting too late.. almost like theres not enough tranny fluid

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what is an appropriate shift rpm??

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
Unless you stump on it it should shift sooner. Most of the 2nd gen defuel at 2700rpms, so that is a little late.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you go see that truck again, I suggest you pull the tranny dipstick and check it. Drive it again, if it keeps shifting at that rpm, walk.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
if you hold it to the floor it will run high rpm before shifting, taking it easy it should shift much sooner. shifts should feel solid

1 - 7 of 7 Posts