Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. Why do you guy's overfill the getrag manual transmission and what happens if I don't? Im a newbie and don't know much. thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
One of the main failures in all manual transmissions is the main shaft brgs . by over filling the case you increase the lubracation and cooling of the brgs. I woul use a good synthetic oil like shell rotell in that tranny . also if you buy a street pipe elbow and screw it in the fill plug makes it alot easyer 2 overfill! just dont put more than 1 extra quart ! to much will make it overheat . if you tow alot i would also add a temp sensor in the pto cover...

Reactions: ADuke

·
Registered
658 Posts
It's a design issue- they were designed to run level, but if you notice, the Cummins sits with a rearward tilt, moving the tranny oil to the rear, and thus, leaving the pocket bearing high and dry. So, add a qt or so extra, and it submerges that bearing, and it lives longer.

NO lugging the Getrag. The engine can handle it, the tranny cant. If towing, I keep the RPMs above 1800 at all times; if empty, >1500.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Your not supposed to lug a getrag???????????????

·
1ST GEN
15,572 Posts
Don't lug a getrag. When you start hearing vibrations from low RPM drop it down a gear.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
what happens to it if u do. cuz i do it all the time.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The Getrag lugging was explained elsewhere by an experienced Getrag rebuilder "mysteryman" (maybe someone will chime in with a link). The lugging seems to pound the input shaft bearings apart leading to "boom". ... :party018:

·
Registered
178 Posts
how about the noise you get when you lug it, doesn't sound good so it probably isn't

·
Registered
42 Posts
6 speed trans?

Heya Guys, I know its a bit off topic, but I found a guy locally that will part with a 6 speed out of an '04 for a great price. My Cummins 1st gen (93) is bolted to a getrag 5 spd- anyone know if I can bolt on the trans? What about the transfer case? The newer trucks have the front driveshaft on the left, mine is on the right, so I wonder about bolting my transfer case to the newer 6 spd... anyone have any ideas? I want to offer the guy some cash for it, but I wanna know if I am buying a trans I can even use... thanks ya'll!:confused013:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
hmm alrite.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Heya Guys, I know its a bit off topic, but I found a guy locally that will part with a 6 speed out of an '04 for a great price. My Cummins 1st gen (93) is bolted to a getrag 5 spd- anyone know if I can bolt on the trans? What about the transfer case? The newer trucks have the front driveshaft on the left, mine is on the right, so I wonder about bolting my transfer case to the newer 6 spd... anyone have any ideas? I want to offer the guy some cash for it, but I wanna know if I am buying a trans I can even use... thanks ya'll!:confused013:
Hey Deezle, ... I'd be all over that if the price was right, 'course I'm 2WD but for pulling my big trailer the extra gear would be splendid. There are lots of guys having done this for various reasons, I have no need of 4WD and would "orphan" the front axle and shelf the transfer case, .... just my $.02, .... :party018:

·
Diesel-less
4,259 Posts
How much power can the Getrag hold? I'm looking around my area to buy a 1st gen 5-speed by the end of the year. Should I get an NV4500 to replace it with? Would it bolt right up?

·
Mule Barn Proprietor
10,673 Posts
I know of one with 627 hp.......

it had some issues drag racing (1500 ft/lbs can do that). But Getrag arent sissy trannys like some folks will tell ya. They just require a different driving style due to design.

·
Registered
449 Posts
:agree2: Getrag makes great transmissions. The V160 6-speed in my dads twin turbo Supra is good for 5-600 stock and beefed will handle more than 1,000. I'm sure Dodge picked Getrag to make the trans in our trucks for a reason. But as stated you have to go about driving them a little differently than your normal manual transmission.

·
Registered
641 Posts
You can and you can't. It'll bolt on but requires a lot of body work to get it to fit from what I understand. You have to really want a 6-speed to get that involved. Get an NV4500 if you want to buy a newer trans or just get your 360 rebuilt if it ever needs it.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
You can and you can't. It'll bolt on but requires a lot of body work to get it to fit from what I understand. You have to really want a 6-speed to get that involved. Get an NV4500 if you want to buy a newer trans or just get your 360 rebuilt if it ever needs it.
What about going from an a518 to a 5 speed manual- is it a lot of work?

·
Registered
134 Posts
is the nv4500 a 6-speed manual? im new to trannies lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts