Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a project I'm wanting to build to use commercially (like hot shot, but not). I know I want to use the cummins, and it needs to be pre 2000.
My issue is, I'm not Mr. 6bt. While i was a mechanic by trade (non diesel), I see lots of mixed info on different fuel pumps, and I cant seem to find solid info if a later 6 speed (the 68rfe?) Can be mated to the earlier blocks (12V or 99 24V)?

Simply put:
If you needed to stay pre 2000 engine, but wanted a 6 speed (other than the Allison LCT1000 $$$),
And needed to tow 26k lbs consistently, what combo could be realistically built? I would even entertain the Ford transmissions, since just about everything can be controlled stand alone.

I'm not looking for excessive performance builds. I need solid reliability and longevity.

I wont use the term "money is no object", but I'm not going to call this a budget build.

Oh, this will be mid mounted on a E-350 box truck chassis, no box.

Thankyou

·
Registered
17,318 Posts
There's more answers and possible combos than space allows, but along with that are questions. The first is, why does it have to be pre 2000? ELD? The second is, you do know that for less money you can buy a truck, with an automatic, that will do the job don't you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
99 and earlier will keep me paper logbook. I wouldn't even do this endeavor if I had to do electronic logs. And a truck doesnt have the space that a van body has. If and when I team drive with my GF, either of us accessing the sleeper/fridge/etc is a big plus.

Why not buy a big rig? Because I want and can stay under 26k lbs which has some nice advantages in my region.

·
Registered
17,318 Posts
99 and earlier will keep me paper logbook. I wouldn't even do this endeavor if I had to do electronic logs. And a truck doesnt have the space that a van body has. If and when I team drive with my GF, either of us accessing the sleeper/fridge/etc is a big plus.

Why not buy a big rig? Because I want and can stay under 26k lbs which has some nice advantages in my region.
It is the year model of the rig that determines whether or not you need an ELD, not the engine. I think you are confusing the emission and ELD rules. You said in your first post you will be towing 26k consistently. Now your are staying under 26k? Are you trying to avoid having to get a CDL?

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
To answer your question without getting into the reasons why you asked it. I'd say either a ZF6 ford or a G56 would be your best bets. Personally i'd go for the ZF6 because I've driven one of those and it was awesome, but I've never driven a G56 for comparison (but I've heard/ read good things about the G56).

·
Registered
501 Posts
I did notice he referenced only autos.......is that a requirement? Or are manual transmissions on the table too?

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I did notice he referenced only autos.......is that a requirement? Or are manual transmissions on the table too?
Humm, didn't think of that. Why would you want an automatic for commercial use? If you can't drive a manual, then maybe pick a different occupation besides professional driver???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts