Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Newb Questions on my 2006

1166 Views 12 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  PbSandman
I recently bought my 06 3500 6 spd. Love the truck but want to learn a bit more about what to look out for. I've searched a lot but didn't find much on these subjects.

Is it recommended to install some sort of gauge to monitor the fuel pressure? Is it easy to install too?
When people state "rail pressure", is fuel pressure what they're referring to or is that different?

The truck has an Edge w/ attitude, AFE, 5in exhaust and a southbend clutch so it has plenty of power for me. I know it can handle state 4+, which is where I typically run it, also level 4 smoke for response.
Will level 4 on 4 do injector damage of any sort?

I've also read about an aftermarket fuel filter...worth the money? How much $$ too?

The truck has 73k and starts/runs like a champ. Thanks in advance for the help.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Gauges ar a great first step. I have fuel pressure, exhaust temp and boost on my pillar.

I had 8 pdi fuel pressure at idle, when I started running Crazy Larry I could draw it down to zero, that's also when I upgraded my clutch. That's when I put in my AD pump, but if I was doing it again I'd use a Raptor and a 2 micron filter.

Fuel pressure is the pressue going to your CP3 (injector pump)
Rail pressure is how much fuel pressure going to you injectors, (the OUT side of your Cp3) you don't want to go much over 26,000 pounds.

I'm not sure about the Edge, how much rail pressure it adds, running lotsa rail pressure all the time could harm your injectors. When they go you normally end up with fuel in your crank case.

· Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is a Micron filter just a better filter? Where can I get them? The edge monitors just about everything important, just not fuel pressure. So I wasn't sure if I should spend the money on it and if so is it expensive?

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Go to Diesel Manor to get an idea on gauge prices.
DieselManor - Gauges and Related Items Including Complete Kits

Micron is how they measure filters, the stock one in our trucks filters 10 microns, you can get a 5 micron for it I think, a 2 micron is about the finest you can get. Adding rail pressure makes 2 micron filters more important, any little particles being rammed through your injectors at 26,000 psi causes trouble.

Here's some filter kits:
Glacier Diesel Power - Product List

Take some time, click around the site and read some of the threads on here, you'll learn tons...

· Registered
1,191 Posts
If you havent yet, and if you dont know what the previous owner did maintenance wise an important first move is to change out your fuel filter, go with the tried and true Baldwin PF7977, filters to 5 Micron.

· Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Fortunately it was a 1 owner truck and he had a lot of records. I think about 7k miles ago he changed the fuel filter which is why I'm doin some research. Plus i prefer to know as much info as I can humanly store. So since the edge juice adds performance and fuel/rail pressure, its not a bad idea to add a fuel pressure gauge for the sake of safety? Are they simple to install? Also, are the Micron 2 & 5 filters available at napa, carquest..etc? A Micron 2 can only benefit and protect I assume, no negatives on a fairly stock truck? It's just better filtration

· Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the links too btw. I looked at the micron 2 filters.. Dang those are spendy compared to stock mopar filters. Do they last a lot longer?
Which of those would you recommend getting. The universal?

· On a new learning curve!
1,047 Posts
I got the Baldwin 5 micron PF7977 at FleetPride (big truck parts store) for less than 15 bucks. If you go to the CAT 2 micron filter you have to do some plumbing.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Thanks for the links too btw. I looked at the micron 2 filters.. Dang those are spendy compared to stock mopar filters. Do they last a lot longer?
Which of those would you recommend getting. The universal?
Cost is the only negative to adding a 2 Mic system to your truck, plus install. The Baldwin PF7977 is the best filter that fits into the stock housing and replaces the stock filter (that doesnt filter as well BTW). You can get them for around $10 Homepage craigsparts.net

· Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! Great info, just a couple more questions on this subject. If I were to go with a 2 micron setup, which kit is best to go with for a fairly stock application? I looked on glacier diesel power site and they have a lot of options but I'm kind of dumb and lack knowledge on which one is a good choice...:banghead:

Do you run both the stock filter and 2 mic filter?

Does it put added stress on the fuel pumps if I were to go to a 5 micron in the stock housing and then add a 2 mic with a little plumbing shown in those kits?

I like the idea and piece of mind of knowing I'm filtering as best as possible but I also don't want to add any stress anywhere else in the system.
Thanks again :thumbsup:

· Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh ya.... and how often do you have to change the 2 Micron filters?

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
If you have the stock lift pump there's no problem running the stock filter and a 2 micron filter. AH is the resident filtration expert, he's added 2 filters I think.

The Mk2+big line kits at Glacier look like it might work for you.

· Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Would it be wise to get a 5 mic in place of the stock filter since it uses the same housing, plus add a 2 mic kit? Or is that overkill?

I like overkill as long as its safe, then again don't we all like overkill? Is the "big line" kit worth the extra $50 to replace the restrictive stock fuel line?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.