Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I was hoping you guys could help me with miles on diesels. I am wanting to get a 94-02 (last good looking body style of any pick up, IMO) 2500 Dodge Cummins. I was wondering would getting a cummins with 175,000-200,000 miles on it be a bad move? I have heard of Cummins going 500,000 miles, but I don't know how common that really is. I am 16 so I'm not making alot of dough and I really don't want to finace for 72 months.

·
Registered
993 Posts
It wouldnt bother me but just remember it will be more likely to break down. Pump, Inj. pump, Trans if it an auto, clutch if its a manual. Just see if previous owner has done any work to it before. We had a 96 1-ton manual and ran it up to 350,000 miles . A little low on power but it still ran great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Buck08. I would be getting a manual definatly... automatics drive me nuts

·
Registered
304 Posts
i bought an 01 and its agood truck takes all the abuse i can put out and some more..

·
Registered
993 Posts
I have personally seen a couple CTD that had 700,000 miles on the original motor. If you properly maintain them they will go a LOOOONG way. Since your young, get what you can afford and then save up for upgrades.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
700,000 miles is INSANE. As far as upgrades, stacks and a small lift will be first. Another question, whats the main differences between the 12 and 24 valves?

·
Registered
11 Posts
700,000 miles is INSANE. As far as upgrades, stacks and a small lift will be first. Another question, whats the main differences between the 12 and 24 valves?
More valves in the head, different injection pumps, lot of people swear by the 12 valve because of mechanical injection and reliability but a lot of guys also love their 24 valves so it's really personal preference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts