Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see all the Wix hate everywhere. But I've seen reference to the idea that Wix has changed their fuel filters for the 6.7L engines sometime around 2013 and all the threads about them are older than that. I also don't see any references to their new part numbers, only their old. I'm not sure if everyone just wrote them off and never cared or if the info I'm seeing is just wrong. Certainly their part numbers have changed since any of the threads I can find on the topic. The current Wix numbers are WF10255NP for the under-hood element and WF10112 for the frame-mounted filter. Does anyone have any non-hate-laden info to share about these? WF10255NP has a product brochure referencing nano-particle level filtration, but does not go as far to state any rating:

http://www.wixfilters.com/assets/techBulletins/Wix/WF10255NP Fuel Filter- English.pdf

The brochure does state that the new filters are designed for "newer fuel systems."

I've been working for a contractor in Mexico Beach recently doing insurance assessments of the damage from Hurricane Michael. I've been driving my truck a lot more than normal and my filter change interval snuck up on me. I'd normally buy Mopar but I'm stuck on a Sunday needing new filters and going back into the disaster zone tomorrow for a few days. I just spent $200 on these Wix filters and I have no other option. I highly doubt I'll be taking them off until the next filter change interval. Just curious for future reference.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've always had awesome results with WIX. In fact, this forum is the very first time I've heard anyone have a negative opinion about then. I used there oil filter last oil change and didn't notice anything different. I have never used their fuel filters. I do think the Mopar are rated to filter down to 3 microns. I see the advertisement you linked and it looks promising. But doesn't state how low it filters down to. I *think* it's probably good. But I don't know. It is expensive if something gets by and messed up a fuel injector. Let us know if all goes well with your experience. Good luck!

·
Cummins Freak
3,477 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
I had emailed Wix to enquire about the filters and never heard anything back. Would like to hear the details of the front filter, such as nominal and absolute efficiency as well as the rear. So I cant comment on them.

Just FYI that the rear water separator, while made by Racor (PFF54529) it is relabelled as the Mopar unit but is the same filter as the Baldwin BF46031 and Hastings FF1279.

Rockauto has the FF1279 for pretty cheap as well.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$200.00????:surprise::surprise: How much do the New Wix filters cost per filter??? https://www.oreillyauto.com/search?q=WF10255NP
I paid $77.99 for the under-hood and $119.99 for the frame-mounted rear one. I know that is too much but, like I said, I was in a bind and needed them yesterday, no time to wait. About the same as I would have paid at the dealership had I been able to get there during business hours. I normally buy Mopar or Fleetguard from dieselfiltersonline.com, it's a lot cheaper there but I didn't have time to wait for shipping this time. Oreilly also had Microguard for about half the total cost but I couldn't find much info either way about Microguard and I took the chance that my assumption about the new part numbers implying that they were new filters that did match factory specs would be correct. I saw a few references to Microguard being Wix as well and I figured maybe Microguard was Wix off-loading the old-style filters.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had emailed Wix to enquire about the filters and never heard anything back. Would like to hear the details of the front filter, such as nominal and absolute efficiency as well as the rear. So I cant comment on them.
Is that to say that you also noticed that the part numbers have changed and that the filters may be of a different design than the older part numbers?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just called them and spoke to their tech department. They say that WF10255NP has a micron rating of 2 microns. They say that's all the info they have. I realize that whether that is nominal or absolute makes a big difference and it is somewhat unhelpful.

WF10112 has a rating of 6-microns and IS a water-separator. Again, that is all the info they claim to have / all they will give.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I just did a quick search on the Wix website. The underhood filter they picture for our trucks looks like a pre 13 filter, not the correct 13 and up.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just did a quick search on the Wix website. The underhood filter they picture for our trucks looks like a pre 13 filter, not the correct 13 and up.
What is the difference? I did notice that the hole on the bottom of the one that came out of my truck was oblong and the one on the one I put in was round. It seemed to go in fine though. My truck is running fine.

·
Premium Member
4,102 Posts
What is the difference? I did notice that the hole on the bottom of the one that came out of my truck was oblong and the one on the one I put in was round. It seemed to go in fine though. My truck is running fine.
A difference in construction like that is what helped cause a bunch of 6.0s to toast there fuel system. Hopefully they are actually sealing up for ya.

I personally dont trust WIX at all as you can not get much if any specs for there filters. There is usually only one reason for that when other manufacturers put it right on there website.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A difference in construction like that is what helped cause a bunch of 6.0s to toast there fuel system. Hopefully they are actually sealing up for ya.

I personally dont trust WIX at all as you can not get much if any specs for there filters. There is usually only one reason for that when other manufacturers put it right on there website.
If you're able to see a difference what is it you're seeing? I mean, I can see obvious differences but that doesn't necessarily mean they wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,102 Posts
I paid $77.99 for the under-hood and $119.99 for the frame-mounted rear one. I know that is too much but, like I said, I was in a bind and needed them yesterday, no time to wait. About the same as I would have paid at the dealership had I been able to get there during business hours. I normally buy Mopar or Fleetguard from dieselfiltersonline.com, it's a lot cheaper there but I didn't have time to wait for shipping this time. Oreilly also had Microguard for about half the total cost but I couldn't find much info either way about Microguard and I took the chance that my assumption about the new part numbers implying that they were new filters that did match factory specs would be correct. I saw a few references to Microguard being Wix as well and I figured maybe Microguard was Wix off-loading the old-style filters.
Microgaurd is Wix, probably just there cheaper cheap version.

If you're able to see a difference what is it you're seeing? I mean, I can see obvious differences but that doesn't necessarily mean they wrong.
See what I highlighted above.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I must admit I never checked part numbers and was unaware that they changed anything. I had enquired about the part numbers that came up for my application. Now without further digging I could not quote what they were.

I think Racor said something about 6 micron as well for the rear WS.

I think I need to see one of these in person.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
The oblong hole in the bottom seals the filtered fuel from the unfiltered fuel. You’ll notice the filter isn’t easy to seat or remove because of the tight seal. The round hole doesn’t match the bottom of the canister so it doesn’t seal properly. It runs fine because the flow isn’t restricted. It’s just not filtering the fuel.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The oblong hole in the bottom seals the filtered fuel from the unfiltered fuel. You’ll notice the filter isn’t easy to seat or remove because of the tight seal. The round hole doesn’t match the bottom of the canister so it doesn’t seal properly. It runs fine because the flow isn’t restricted. It’s just not filtering the fuel.
That's what I was afraid of. So Wix is selling the wrong filter for our trucks then? You wuld think there would be tons of trucks with clogged injectors out there if that was the case.

Yet the Wix filter did fit on the port tightly like the original did. If Cummins' / Ram's intent was to prevent usage of the old filters in the new trucks by changing the shape of that port, they failed miserably by making the largest OD of the oval the same OD as the older circle. I would like to think better of them than that. If that was the intent of the oval they should have made its OD larger than the older round port's.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am at the shop working on it now. This theory is wrong. I will provide pictures proving such shortly. The Wix filter is in fact filtering. The round vs oblong hole does not matter. The seal is around the base outside diameter of the filter housing itself. I do not know why there is round vs oblong. But it does nothing and seals nothing either way.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pics will help explain this.

Inside the oblong hole in the bottom of my old Mopar filter is something that LOOKS like a seal but isn't. It is just a plastic piece that happens to have a small contour on it that looks like a seal but could never, in fact, seal anything. (OK, maybe if you pushed it over something tight enough it might seal for a while, but that's not what is happening here.) The Wix filter does not have a seal there either. In fact, at the base of the fuel bowl pedestal where that hole resides, there's not even anything to seal against. There are simply two rectangular plastic tabs sticking out from the center that prevent something with a smaller hole on the bottom from going in. (One of the tabs is circled in green, the other hidden behind the pedestal in the pic.) This leads me to believe that the same hole on the older filters may be smaller, which would prevent an installer from installing the old-style filter. Otherwise, that hole does nothing except possibly allow water to fall out of the bottom of the filter into the blue-highlighted orifice which leads to the drain pit. (I don't know that for sure, just hypothesizing.) The REAL SEAL on both the Wix and Mopar filter is at the base outside diamater of the unit itself, highlighted in the pics.

Now if you look at the pic of the canister you can see where fuel comes in the two oblong holes in the outside of the can from the tank. Since the base of the filter is sealed against the inside of the can, the fuel has to flow through the filter to the inside where the pedestal is. It then has to fill the entire can before it gets sucked into the HP pump at the top of the pedestal. This makes sense since diesel would be floating on top of any water and you would want to get the diesel from as far away as possible from where any water might be. Also since the drain would be at the bottom where you would be draining water off. Finally, it also explains why, after you change your filter, if you don't prime the system, it take forever to start the truck. (The can has to fill completely before the HP pump would get any fuel.)

So, this Wix filter is, in fact, filtering my fuel despite the useless holes in the bottom being shaped differently. I suspect that those holes aren't even what causes the filter's tight fit in the can because all they could be sitting tightly against is those two small rectangular tabs, which wouldn't be enough to cause any sort of resistance. I suspect it is the large seal around the entire filter diameter that is doing that due to the large circumference that has the probability of causing more friction during installation and removal.

Sorry for any typos, it's been a long week already for me and getting longer. I have to drive pretty much non-stop all day tomorrow and I wanted to know for a fact that my fuel was being filtered. I'm going to continue running this Wix filter for the time being as I see no reason not to at this juncture. Maybe further debate will change my mind later.

!!!EDIT: THIS IS NOT COMPLETELY CORRECT. CONTINUE READING!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,102 Posts
Good to know that the seal is the bottom portion you outlined.

I still would like to find the ratings for the filter. Having half (if that) as many pleats suggest to me any ways the filtering ability is no where close but would have to actually have the numbers from WIX which is probably not going to happen.

IMHO change out for the cummins filter next go around and order 2 sets so you have on in the truck.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts