Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone currently buying new vegetable oil for biodiesel production? I have been trying to find it in bulk for a reasonable price but I have not had any luck. I dont have time to run around town picking up used oil and then have to filter it. I would rather buy new if it was cost effective. I have found it as low as $.79 a gallon overseas but buy the time I ship it to my nearest port it is not cost effective. So where are ya'll getting it from?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Used cooking oil sales for over $2.00 a gallon man, so new is higher than that.

Is anyone currently buying new vegetable oil for biodiesel production? I have been trying to find it in bulk for a reasonable price but I have not had any luck. I dont have time to run around town picking up used oil and then have to filter it. I would rather buy new if it was cost effective. I have found it as low as $.79 a gallon overseas but buy the time I ship it to my nearest port it is not cost effective. So where are ya'll getting it from?

·
Banned
393 Posts
They give it away here...for used anyway. Sparks is right though, think about how mush it is at the grocery store. We used to have a restaraunt, and that $hit was HIGHHHHH

·
Registered
235 Posts
They give it away here...for used anyway. Sparks is right though, think about how mush it is at the grocery store. We used to have a restaraunt, and that $hit was HIGHHHHH
If you can get free veggie oil jump on it, only a matter of time before a rendering company gets there and offers then .50 cent a gallon for it like here on the east coast.

·
Banned
393 Posts
yeah...but i just dont have the time to go get it then filter it. I can usually always get it for free though because alot of my clients have restaurants. And Shane...Sparks here deals in hazardous waste...so get some of that from him, and convert it to fuel!!

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
yeah...but i just dont have the time to go get it then filter it. I can usually always get it for free though because alot of my clients have restaurants. And Shane...Sparks here deals in hazardous waste...so get some of that from him, and convert it to fuel!!
Well Let me say that any cost you incur from getting free oil(filtering dewatering and colecting) is not going to outweigh the cost of new oil. All commerical bioD places use new oil..... supplemented with clean waste(some do, not all). If your making like a few million gallons a year, then yeah I can see an economic benefit to using pure new oil. If this is just something your doing in your garage, then your better off trying to find used stuff or buy pump diesel, cuase it will never be cost effective. Its like
3X.XX dollars for Soy Oil in the 5 gallon cubies. That right there is more than diesel fuel(for the same quanitiy) and you have not even converted it to bio yet.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I read in the paper the other day where new Soy oil is going for $0.56 per pound in 60,000 lbs lots and at that low price it does not including shipping.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Yeah.. 60,000 pounds is like a rail car worth of oil. 35 ish pounds is about 5 gallons, so 60,000 equals 1720 gallons of oil at a cost of like 34 Grand.... In order your you to turn all of that into fuel you would need a machine that runs non stop for like a year.. if you were doing liek 50-100 gallons at a time. Its doable... but where are you going to store 1720 gallons of oil??? Not to mention keep it free of bacteria growth and other containmaints. Plus... were not even looking at shiping yet. I bet it costs a few G's to get it... to somplace just for you to unload it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
leave some drums at restaurants that you are cool with and one day go pick it up. It took me a while to figure out a time efficient way of picking up wvo and processing it. Takes me about 15mins to pick up 50 gallons of wvo and another 15min to unload it into my storage containers in my garage.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Used cooking oil sales for over $2.00 a gallon man, so new is higher than that.
Who sales used cooking oil for $2.00 a gallon??? Thats damn near stealing. Well we buy it but the case (6 gallons). I am a professional cook/manager. We typically can get a case for about $21-22 through the right place. This is corn oil, but seems to work great since it sees limited cooking. Luckily i can dispose for free, i have been told that to get an oil service would be expensive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts