Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
want to buy twins what are your suggestions? not sure if iam going to use the stocker or buy a whole new set up. also buying head studs and arson III and 90 hp tips. need advice on the twins. want quick spooling and low egts when towing heavy loads. any feedback on twins likes dislikes would be great.

Reactions: ripcurl29350

·
Registered
685 Posts
S400 Twin Turbos

I hear really good things about this S400 kit. You should be ok with 90's and the Arson 3 kit depending on the milage on your cp3. They also offer compound turbos that use the stock turbo for a cheaper price. I personally am looking at getting the S480 kit for my 06, but im also gunna do some sled pulling.

·
Your Delightfully Ginger Kentucky President
3,754 Posts
Depends on what you plan to do with the truck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is my daily driver but love to have fun with it. want it to be practical but pull hard like a sports car. thats why thinking about twins

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yep im with the stocker on top idea. I've basically got my stock turbo on top and it is instant spool up and it pulls real nice. Egts aren't to bad either and I have 240 horse sticks with quadzilla tuning. Before I had the 240 sticks , I was running 150's and my truck is a 5 speed and I got her in the 13's in the quarter mile...just an idea of what you can anticipate with the stock turbo suggestion.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do you think a aftermarket turbo would spool faster than the stocker. or will it be close to the same. don't want to be tearing it apart because it doesn't spool the way i want it to.

·
Registered
391 Posts
stock turbo will spool pretty much faster than anything out there. my friend put a 62/65/12 on his 03 common rail and there was no difference in lag from the stock turbo. once you start getting into the 14cm and larger housings for the top turbo is when your gonna start loosing spool but on the other hand you will gain better top end performance/flow. if money is tight then i'd do a stock/s400 setup. if money isnt really an issue then i'd do like a 62/71/14 on top and an s480 on bottom. that setup should be good for low to mid 700's with supporting mods. since that turbo is only a 62, it will still spool good and the 71/14 part will allow for good breathing of the motor and keep drive pressures and egts down.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
stock turbo will spool pretty much faster than anything out there. my friend put a 62/65/12 on his 03 common rail and there was no difference in lag from the stock turbo. once you start getting into the 14cm and larger housings for the top turbo is when your gonna start loosing spool but on the other hand you will gain better top end performance/flow. if money is tight then i'd do a stock/s400 setup. if money isnt really an issue then i'd do like a 62/71/14 on top and an s480 on bottom. that setup should be good for low to mid 700's with supporting mods. since that turbo is only a 62, it will still spool good and the 71/14 part will allow for good breathing of the motor and keep drive pressures and egts down.
:agree2: that would make for a great setup. Some 150hp tips and a nice cp3 or duals and your will be beside yourself. I am shooting for a 64/s488 with some big injectors but I rarely tow. A stocker/s475 is a great combo too and good for low to mid 600hp and cam how all day long.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the info anybody else want to comment that is running twins would be great. thanks though to the ones that already have.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Honestly the 62/475 is plenty of air for 700. Why go with a 62/71 and 480 for 700 hp? Talk about taking a hit on lag.

·
Registered
223 Posts
There are many options out there that will get you where you want. Since your truck is an automatic, you would probably be just as happy with a set of twins that is slightly on the big side of the fueling that you have. Then when you want more fuel, and trust us you will, you have room to grow. Everybody knows quality twin kits are expensive. Therefore, if money is a big factor, I would buy your small turbo now, and run it until you have the funds to buy a quality twin kit. I had DPS's 62/65/12 over s475 twins on my truck for about 15k miles. I was very happy with the way the truck ran. I was not very happy with the quality of some of the components of the kit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts