Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

New truck newbie

609 Views 9 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  98whitelightnin
well I have seen the light, I am going to buy a Dodge. Ive driven Fords for 30 years, and after some research decided to go with a Dodge and the Cummins. So my budget lead me to a 99 2500 Laramie short bed 4x. Automatic trans 140k on the Odom. It has a 4850lb front axle (looks like a dana 60) and a 6684? lb rear. Not sure but looks like a 70? Has 3:54 ratio. Pretty nice condition, never been modified, no chip, no lift, which is what I was looking for, (I plan to chip it myself). It does have an issue with the low speed sensor, or so says the owner. Speedo wont move till you get up to about 35mph and the cruise and auto door lock wont work. He claims the part is cheap but not sure if its the trans or the diff sensors. Was hoping for input. Ideas about the sensor issue, what to expect from these years and whether a chip is a good or bad idea, I really want to get max mileage and still keep the power. I have had a 91 F350 for ever that I had a ATS turbo put on and the injector pump turned up. It has a nice turbo whine and plenty of power but this Dodge stock seems to be quite a bit more. Thanks in advance for your thoughts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
11,940 Posts
Sensor in question is on rear axle. Part reasonable price. Inspect wiring at left frame rail and rear axle spring hangar.

· Registered
1,933 Posts
Sensor in question is on rear axle. Part reasonable price. Inspect wiring at left frame rail and rear axle spring hangar.
:agree2:
dozer definately knows his stuff.

· Registered
5,245 Posts
First thing you need is an aftermarket lift pump, and a set of gauges.

· On call 24/7
13,768 Posts
I got my rear wheel speed sensor from dodge for $35 and it took 10 minutes to replace. Your right on the axles being d60 and d70 and like pepsi said get a set of gauges, fuel pressure, egt, boost and tranny temp. These trucks need a constant 10 psi of fuel pressure for the injector pump to live so a new lift pump like airdog or fass is almost a must. For more power look into a edge comp if you like the looks of standard gauges or a edge juicewith attitude moniter if you like digital readouts. You can look in the classifieds at the top of the page for good deals on used chips.

· Registered
5,245 Posts
if your adding more power you must upgrade the lift pump, or else you will run into problems, i don't care what the counterculture thinks, you need the fuel psi, ad that requires aftermarket pumps.

· ACDC Chapter President aka VACAY!
13,141 Posts
Welcome to the dark side 30 yrs is a hard badhabit to break

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you for the info. So I looked at the Fass and the Air Dog. If I get it right, these are designed to replace the factory lift pump? They both look like they have a 12 volt motor and must be a vane style pump, has some kind of adjustable psi regulator? Is there any way to test the injector pump to check for potential damage? It looks like right off I would need to shell out 5 to 8 Franklins for the lift pump, and 3 for a chip, plus the gauges another 3. The pod kits all look like a 3 gauge set for trans egt and boost, didnt see fuel psi, any info on that?

· Registered
5,245 Posts
thank you for the info. So I looked at the Fass and the Air Dog. If I get it right, these are designed to replace the factory lift pump? They both look like they have a 12 volt motor and must be a vane style pump, has some kind of adjustable psi regulator? Is there any way to test the injector pump to check for potential damage? It looks like right off I would need to shell out 5 to 8 Franklins for the lift pump, and 3 for a chip, plus the gauges another 3. The pod kits all look like a 3 gauge set for trans egt and boost, didnt see fuel psi, any info on that?
talk to wally over at FTE Diesel, he is a good man and will set you up.

I got my Diprocols (gauges), wiring harness, and pod from him, plus the fass, he knows alot and his customer service is number one.

· On call 24/7
13,768 Posts
Im with pepsi again, Wally is a good guy with the best prices and is a site sponsor. Tell him you dont want an isolator for your fuel pressure gauge but instead you will use a needle valve because it will save ya $100. I have my fuel pressure gauge on the steering column.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.