Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new here. Sorry if I am posting in the wrong place. Just point me in the right direction. I am looking to buy a f350. Between 90' and 98'. I live in california and would like to avoid the smog issues and I like the old fords looks. What I would like to do is put a 5.9 24v. Put bags in the rear. Customize a bumper with spot for hydraulic mile marker winch and extra lights. Maybe some other things as I go. Question is what tranny to put in it? How to bolt up the cummins in a Ford? I heard there were two options. The front one being better than the side mounts because the side mounts are in the way of adding things onto the accesory drice unit. In general what will I need to plan for to get going. Does anybody know what the smog regs will be like in california for such a swap. I thought as long as it was diesel to diesel maybe I was allright, but I am also wondering if I have to have the same year as the original equiptment or newer. Sorry all of this is very....general, out in space. I am just trying to get a starting point and then I will have a platform to launch from.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Take a look at Destroked.com to get a direction to head. I'd certainly talk to a referee or smog shop to see what the implications are. I'll bet the truck will require all smog equipment standard on the 24v and the super duty. Good luck to you. I'd like a fummins too.

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
Check the wheelbases of the trucks. You may be able to find a dodge diesel with the same wheelbase as the ford. Then you could put the ford body on the dodge running gear and frame.

You are in the wrong section to ask about putting a vp44 engine in. Those in this section prefer the p7100 pump. It has no computer control and does not have a reputation for failing like the vp44 does.

If you do not use the factory computer to control the transmission either use a stick shift or a 47rh transmission.

For CALI specific questions contact the CALI DMV in the capitol. They should know the state laws regarding vehicles.

Reactions: Special_ED

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Good Idea, putting the Ford body on the dodge chasis. I guess I whill have to get a donor vehicle and is halfway decent shape......may be hard to find. Any Ideas on where I can find those specs? I didn't turn up anything on an initial search, but need to put some more time in. However a point in the right direction could save me some headache. I do plan on putting in the p7100.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Good website to save. I will have to spend more time on it this weekend. I have a lot of research to do. I just need to narrow it down to some specific engines, trucks, and trannies otherwise I am trying to take in information for too many combinations, aaahhh. my head hurts! haha

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
Each vehicle has a wheelbase listed. If you search for used vehicles some sites show the factory options inluding wheelbases. Another way is to look for emergency brake cables on a parts site. As trucks came in different configurarions you can see the wheelbase that way.

A simple Dogpile Web Search search (no google tracking cookies) for "(specific vehicle) wheelbase" will also probably find that info quickly.

1997 back diesel trucks do not need emissions testing. Stay that old and you solve one problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts