Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a 2018 3500 8ft dually flatbed and I’m thinking about going to a 3500 single rear wheel 8ft bed or maybe a 6/12 depending on towing capacity. I haul a 1000s Polaris RZR on my flatBed and tow a 37ft camper with 1200 lb of hitch weight. I Will buy a rack that Goes up over the cab to haul the RZR .!my question is will I get sway when towing ?With the dually set I don’t but I don’t particularly like this big truck.anyone been down this path already.! I would like this to be the last heavy duty truck I buy. Thanks for your help in advance..

·
Registered
818 Posts
I’ve had more LB DRW trucks then SRW trucks and I would never go back to SRW because I tow nothing lighter than 15k. My 2012 Dooley is a long bed and I built the RV hauler bed so that the back end is shortened and the back corners are clipped off so when I tow a fifth wheel I have plenty of space between the bed and the trailer. I would also never go back to a short bed even if I didn’t tow a fiver.
If you get an SB flatbed I would look into mounting the hitch behind the axle a few inches so you don’t have cab clearance problems or bed corner problems. Craig

·
Registered
876 Posts
... AND you can maybe try BSIG's SRW before you make the swap.

Reactions: Jumpinjoe

·
Registered
378 Posts
A SRW 3500 will do what your asking, but IMO you are going to be raising your center of gravity by putting your RZR on one of those ramps, and going to a narrower wheelbase. I'd just keep what you have, it's a good looking setup and probably works well.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A SRW 3500 will do what your asking, but IMO you are going to be raising your center of gravity by putting your RZR on one of those ramps, and going to a narrower wheelbase. I'd just keep what you have, it's a good looking setup and probably works well.
Yes it works well but I really don’t drive it other than towing because it’s so wide and hard to maneuver around. It’s a lot of $ sitting around for the amount I use it and if a single rear wheel would do the job it would be better all the way around.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Jumpinjoe - I think you're missin something here (or maybe it's me), but 2 guys have expressed interest in swapping their SRW rear ends for your DRW. That should interest you and get you the narrower truck you want. The possibility offers another, and huge, advantage to you. You can likely test your load on an SRW before you make the swap - or do a trade in - that way you know for sure if the SRW meets your needs.

and that is my good deed for today.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Get a toyhauler. I have one and I wouldn't have anything else.

My buddy pulls a 42 foot, 19,000 lb 5th wheel toyhauler with his SRW 2500. He put 9,500 miles on it last year. Through the Rockies, the Blue Ridge Mountains, the Plains (goes to Sturgis every year)..... All over the Country. Went on an Alaskan cruise earlier and left the rig at his Son's house in Washington State somewhere.

Sold his house, his business, all his property holdings and walked away with 7 figures +

Lives in his 5th Wheel now and is loving it. Been doing now for five years

I posted a picture of it one time. He has no troubles at all.

But......... He knows how to drive. He owned a fleet of Class 7 and 8 trucks at one time.

Personally, I'd be askeert to do it. But he ain't.

He's also kinda nuts. Flies airplanes for fun. Even jumped out of them a few times. SCUBA Dives.

We were in the Army together overseas and I can vouch for his (lack of) sanity. ;)

·
Registered
12,764 Posts
I don’t tow a 5er our camper is a bumper pull.here is my setup. I don’t want another flatbed.
Looking at how much your DRW is squatting, I think you have underestimated your rear axle load by quite a bit.
Of course, a good WD hitch would relieve the rear axle of any excess weight, making a SRW more feasible.

Either way, isn't a DRW about the same width as the mirrors (not folded out)? If so, a SRW isn't much/any easier to drive around.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Looking at how much your DRW is squatting, I think you have underestimated your rear axle load by quite a bit.
Of course, a good WD hitch would relieve the rear axle of any excess weight, making a SRW more feasible.

Either way, isn't a DRW about the same width as the mirrors (not folded out)? If so, a SRW isn't much/any easier to drive around.
A SRW is MUCH easier to drive around. Much. Not even close. Not even in the same Galaxy.

Especially when the DRW is an 8' bed.

Just use a good WDH, put some good quality airbags on it and head on down the road..........

If you dare...... :eek:noz::eek:noz:

·
Registered
596 Posts
A SRW is MUCH easier to drive around. Much. Not even close. Not even in the same Galaxy.

Especially when the DRW is an 8' bed.

Just use a good WDH, put some good quality airbags on it and head on down the road..........

If you dare...... :eek:noz::eek:noz:
Air bags will suck with a RZR loaded above the bed rails and cause the truck to wallow. There are better ways to address squat when carrying a tall CG load and they tyically require extra springs or more preload on your current ones.

A 19k lb toy hauler can easily have over 4k lbs of pin weight. Although a 2500 may have the axle and frame for that, the suspension and wheels are over capacity. There are ways to modify a SRW to do this safely, but it is not something I would suggest in stock trim.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks but no thanks We had a toy hauler and didn’t like it so that’s why we have what we do.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts