Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is take two of the Monster Transmission since the previous grenaded on me. After getting it back rebuilt and installed, it running very hot idling in gear and traffic, 208+ not towing. although, driving steady at 60MPH the temp drops around 165-170. All internals are brand new. A618/48RE with a low stall HD billet torque converter. I'm hoping that it just needs some "break in time" but I also worry that the Trans oil cooler is clogged up some limiting its ability. Any ideas would be helpful.

I'm military and have to move my house for. San Antonio, TX to Altus, OK in the beginning of the month and very worried.

2000 Ram 2500 - 4WD - 5.9L 24v

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Take it out of gear at long light and put it neutral it will reduce the amount of fluid thrashing the torque converter will do to the fluid.

Even my built 46RE in my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 runs about 190*F in Boise traffic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take it out of gear at long light and put it neutral it will reduce the amount of fluid thrashing the torque converter will do to the fluid.

Even my built 46RE in my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 runs about 190*F in Boise traffic.
Ugh, that would be such a pain in the a$$ as a long term solution. :-( it's good to know though I'm not the only one with this problem. I wonder with the HP friction material and HD billet TC the bands and clutches heat up faster. I even bought the deep pan with Schaffers ATF. May have to add another cooler somewhere with an electric fan.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts