Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Geeze, when it rains...I was so excited that I got my charging issue resolved that truck gods decided to drop me down a notch. Searching did not bring up anything similar to this but if anyone knows of a thread that would be great. I have a strange issue where sometimes when I start the truck and drive it, it doesn't want to shift out of first and or 2nd. Sometimes it does at like 2200rpm. Other times I start it and it shifts and runs fine. Never had any issues until right about the same time the charging issue started.

EDIT: 2004 Automatic 4x2 5.9L

·
Registered
172 Posts
Do you have a tuner that can read codes or a scan tool that can read transmission dtc's?

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Mega Cab SLT - DPF & EGR Delete H&S Mini Maxx w/ Trans Unlock running Performance Tune - Nixon Transmission Entry Level 550 hp Dual Disc Low Stall Converter Billet Valve Body High Pressure Pump - 295/70/R17 MT's on stock alloys 314,500

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Bluetooth ODB2 reader that I use on family cars to check codes and erase them with Torque Pro. But that's it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You could have another issue, but usually stuck in 1st or 1st to 4th gear is a mechanical error of some sort. Best bet would be to see if you have any gear ratio error codes or if you have p0871 could be your valve body has developed cross leaks. If it's the valve body minus a good price tag you can do it yourself by dropping the pan and unbolt the whole valve body assembly and replace. Google your year and model of truck, along with 68rfe stuck in 1st gear and you'll enter the rabbit hole of transmission issues. Also could try 68rfe limp mode and that will provide plenty of forum threads on the issue.
EDIT: my bad, by notice that it was in 3rd gen powertrain and just jumped out to help. I see see what's going on now

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Mega Cab SLT - DPF & EGR Delete H&S Mini Maxx w/ Trans Unlock running Performance Tune - Nixon Transmission Entry Level 550 hp Dual Disc Low Stall Converter Billet Valve Body High Pressure Pump - 295/70/R17 MT's on stock alloys 314,500

·
Trying to learn
5,874 Posts
You could have another issue, but usually stuck in 1st or 1st to 4th gear is a mechanical error of some sort. Best bet would be to see if you have any gear ratio error codes or if you have p0871 could be your valve body has developed cross leaks. If it's the valve body minus a good price tag you can do it yourself by dropping the pan and unbolt the whole valve body assembly and replace. Google your year and model of truck, along with 68rfe stuck in 1st gear and you'll enter the rabbit hole of transmission issues. Also could try 68rfe limp mode and that will provide plenty of forum threads on the issue.

Does that info apply to the 48re as well?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I am finding, it looks like the speed sensor might be the culprit. I am going to see if I can find any codes from the key maneuvers.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
If sure fluid/filter good, front band adjusted properly,
I would double check wiring including grounds then governor pressure solenoid and temperature pressure sensor.

·
Trying to learn
5,874 Posts
Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update. Replaced the speed sensor. Topped off fluid. Still happens. Still as random/rare. Strange things I noticed: if I shut the truck off and turn on again it works like nothing ever happened. This started happening when my electrical issues started. Which turned out to be the alternator. Replaced it and now is good with that but I wonder if it plays a role. Almost like a glitch in the matrix. and resetting ecu fixes it or something.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've heard of TCM getting fried during electrical issues, does your trans communicate with a scan tool?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Copy that my bad lol

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
3rd gen has Tcm it is part of ECM .
any codes?
check wiring to trans relay/trans itself including grounds?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No codes, I do have a scan tool but it brought up nothing. Its nothing special mind you but it has worked with most other cars. I'll look those up in the service manual.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Some of the lower end scam tools don't have the ability to read transmission codes for some reason. At least that's what I've heard

1 - 17 of 17 Posts