Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like a new version of the Open Country AT was just released. Biggest difference appears to be that is has the snowflake rating.

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-at-iii#BVRRWidgetID

Dont have them in the size I need yet, but hopefully will soon as I'm getting close to replacement on my AT IIs.

Just wanted to get a thread started for people who have tried them, where the good prices are etc...

·
Trying to learn
5,457 Posts

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Interesting glad they changed the pattern a little and the rubber compound . Nice !
MIGHT be a good tire. Now. I hope so !

Reason : The AT II looked great , i put a TON of miles on them with the 01 i had ,so very familiar . VERY solid , sturdy well built tire .
Not great at all in snow
WILL try and kill you in the rain , even driving easy.
The PLUS was they wore like granite / carbide tungsten , mine got to 2/3 tread and stayed there , that truck went all over lotta miles.

·
Registered
10,193 Posts
Hopefully,they'll expand their size selections in 17's.

·
Registered
10,193 Posts
I just talked to my local Toyo dealer about these tires.
35x12.5R20 (4) installed was going to be $1,825 installed.
no thank you
I always wondered why tire manufacturers charge more for less rubber?
The 35-12.50-in 16's,17,and 18's are cheaper for more product.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I paid about $800 for 4 of the AT2 off eBay a few years ago. I have no complaints and have over 50k miles on them. Thought they have had decent traction in everything (rain, snow, dry, grass).

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got only one gripe about my AT IIs and its that they got really noisy the last 15k miles. Granted they're close to 70k miles, so I've more than gotten my money's worth out of them. They still have a good amount of tread left.

Wish these ATIIIs were available in more sizes at this point!

·
Registered
10,193 Posts
I've got only one gripe about my AT IIs and its that they got really noisy the last 15k miles. Granted they're close to 70k miles, so I've more than gotten my money's worth out of them. They still have a good amount of tread left.

Wish these ATIIIs were available in more sizes at this point!
I spoke to a Toyo rep here this morning. The AT3's will be offered in more 17" sizes in the future.
70K on any tire with a diesel is unreal. I'll be lucky to get that on my wife's Honda and Michelins.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spoke to a Toyo rep here this morning. The AT3's will be offered in more 17" sizes in the future.
70K on any tire with a diesel is unreal. I'll be lucky to get that on my wife's Honda and Michelins.
Agreed, which is why I'm going Toyo again fro sure. I've run multiple sets of BFGs, some Pro Comps and a set of highway Goodyears. Nothing even comes close to the Toyos. What's crazy is i bet if I'd have taken better care of them (not run a busted shock for 20k, and balanced them out a few times) I could get anouther 20k out of them.

I run 100 miles a day unloaded on the highway to work, but I offroad, haul my camper and even tow a few times a year.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Good, I'll need something other than Michelin's... My LTX MS2 installed about 4 years ago are cracked all to crap. I had to replace the front two due to safety concerns. Michelin would only reimburse 80 bucks per tire. So, I replaced the frontS with BRIDGE STONE DUELER LTH'S...

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
My coworker had same issue with his Michelins on his truck, dealer stepped up and gave him all new tires:thumbsup:

As far as Toyos, I must of gotten Monday batch, 40k if I get lucky on 285/75/R17 AT2 Extemes.
On Gonna try Coopers AT3 XLT next.

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
I always wondered why tire manufacturers charge more for less rubber?
The 35-12.50-in 16's,17,and 18's are cheaper for more product.
For one, people are willing to pay more for a tire that's fashionable.
Also, it has to be more work to engineer a tire in a profile that it rightfully shouldn't be, and also make it support a certain load with less air volume.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Interesting glad they changed the pattern a little and the rubber compound . Nice !

MIGHT be a good tire. Now. I hope so !

Reason : The AT II looked great , i put a TON of miles on them with the 01 i had ,so very familiar . VERY solid , sturdy well built tire .

Not great at all in snow

WILL try and kill you in the rain , even driving easy.

The PLUS was they wore like granite / carbide tungsten , mine got to 2/3 tread and stayed there , that truck went all over lotta miles.

I agree. I have the AT2 on my truck right now and they suck worse than any truck tire I’ve ever run in wet weather.

It will lose traction going down the interstate at 75mph if you have to accelerate to pass someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
767 Posts

I’ve gotten 70k+ from the last 2 sets of BFGs on my 2012 Ram 2500 diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have the AT2 all weather tires on my truck now. They work great for me on icy, snow covered roads, as well as in the summer. 80k km on them right now, and still 8/32 left. Will run them another 35k and get a set of these AT3s next winter.

I've been running Toyo ATs for 12 years now, and they are the best AT i have found for an HD truck.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I couldn't wait any longer and went ahead and bought some AT IIs. I'm really anxious to see how people like these.

·
Renaissance Redneck BCVP
3,898 Posts
As far as Toyos, I must of gotten Monday batch, 40k if I get lucky on 285/75/R17 AT2 Extemes.
On Gonna try Coopers AT3 XLT next.
I absolutely hated the Toyo ATII Extremes on my 2014. They were downright scary on even a humid day after about 15,000 miles. They were done by 25,000. Absolute crap tire. The MT, I like. It’s big and heavy and a bit “yo”, but they work really well in wet coastal snow, rain (duh) and wear really well.

I had planned to buy the Cooper AT3 XLTs as well, but my new ‘05 came with decent Toyo MTs so I’m going to wear them out.

The new AT IIIs look like an improvement, but I’ll wait and see.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts