Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This truck means a lot to me. My Dad purchased this brand new from Dave Smith Motors (largest Ram dealer in the world). When he bought this, he joked "this will be the last truck I'll ever need!" He was only 57 at the time and I thought his expectations were too high for the lifespan of this truck. Well, it did outlast him. He unexpectedly passed away in the fall of 2018. My oldest brother has had this truck ever since.
Well, as time has played out, this truck now lives with me. It's got 241k miles on it. The transmission was replaced once about 10 years ago (funny story for another time) and then rebuilt 3 years ago. Everything else was bone stock except for the visible accessories. I've already invested $$$ in the front end, replacing ball joints, tie rods, steering stabilizer and gear box (Red Head), track bar, bushings, shocks all the way around, u-joints, serviced differentials, oil/air/fuel filters changed, etc.
Also, I had a good time detailing this beast, cutting and buffing out the original paint, cleaning thoroughly, replacing fog lamps and step bars, etc.
I'm kind of a shade-tree mechanic, enjoying turning wrenches on my own vehicles and motorcycle, but I'm quite inexperienced with diesels. I learn quick and tackle most anything that can be handled without a lift. YouTube and forums such as this one usually provide all the insight and "how-to" I need in order to keep my time with the mechanic to a minimum. But with Dad's truck, I wanted to ensure it would get back on the road quick and I also wanted that safety net of the limited lifetime warranty I got on my suspension work (I researched enough to know the ball joints/tie rods/steering could be a repeat issue every few years).
I'm glad to be joining another great forum and look forward to learning a lot from you fine folks!

Reactions: StealthDiesel

·
Registered
54 Posts
welcome to the forum!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts