Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys and gals I'm new to the forum tonight and got my first diesel a month ago!!!:drool2: so forgive me if I ask slot of stupid /simple questions in just trying to learn as I go here. I have a 05 dually auto 62k with a afe stage 2 intake and I'm looking to add an exhaust for my next upgrade. I use the truck as my work truck . And I own a transport company so I want to keep it reliable but fun to drive. I was wanting to go with a 5" straight pipe from the turbo back but then someone told me that 5" was for motors over 500hp??? Does that sound right?? Should I go with a 4"???? I'm looking for that throaty mean sound and I intend to put either a smarty or a EFIlive on the truck eventually so which way should I go on the exhaust???? I'm all ears like I said earlier I'm new to this and open to any input!!! Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
The size of the exhuast is for pure sound. Thats it..go smarty udc seeing as how efi ain't out for 05 yet

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The size of the exhuast is for pure sound. Thats it..go smarty udc seeing as how efi ain't out for 05 yet
So is the 5" going to be that loud mean sound or is the 4" I want to be heard when I hit it!!:shock: also does removing the muffler from the scenario change anything with back pressure?? Pros and cons???

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
After the turbo nothing besides running a 1" exhuast will really change back pressure.. the 5in is louder by far especially without a muffler

·
Registered
894 Posts
Awesome thanks buddy!! Well I guess if I can run a 5" with the way my truck sits then that's what I'm going to do!! Thanks for the input.
FWIW....Towing with no muffler will be quite loud...if its going to spend much of its life with a trailer behind it (said you owned a transport company so I'd assume you will) I'd recommend a good straight through muffler.

·
World Champs!!!
24,232 Posts
4" is "louder" but 5" is "deeper". They sound different for sure; both are loud, but the 4" is more raspy I guess you'd call it. Either is fine on a stock truck, you don't need x amount of power before running 5".

And I agree, I love my straight pipe, but no way in hell I'd have straight if I towed a lot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.