Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

New to the diesel scene, need help.

849 Views 14 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  mjd91
Always wanted a Dodge Diesel and finally have the chance to get one. Probably gonna get an 01 or 02. I want to mod it, but only know the basics. So far this are the things on my list (in order of priority)

-AirDog150 (heard factory lift pump couldnt handle much over stock)
-Gauges on A-Pillar Mount
*Pyrometer
*Fuel Pressure
*Boost
-4" Downpipe (5" if i can find 1)
-Dual Grandrock stacks with 6" Mitre Tips
-AEM Bruteforce HD Intake

I wanna get a chip of programmer of some kind but don't know what is good and what isn't. I don't wanna go nuts, and I'm on a students budget.

Also, do i need new injectors if i wanna run all this? or a new fuel pump?

Any help that people could give me would be much appreciated. Thanks
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
817 Posts
Fuel pump is first, but you've got that on the top of the list. The stock ones can't even supply enough to keep a stock truck happy the way they come. You shouldn't have to worry about injectors till you want to move to the next level.

As far as chip there are plenty out there and enough opinions to keep you readin for days, I personally have the Edge comp box and love it, there's the Edge Juice with Attitude, Quad Adrenaline, TST Comp, and the list goes on. It really depends on what you want. :thumbsup:

· Registered
497 Posts
Downpipe will be 4", 5" won't fit. But a lot of exhaust systems will change up to 5" after the downpipe. Gus at Farmboy's Diesel gave me a great price on a 4" downpipe into 5" GrandRock bed kit for mine.

The Edge Juice with Attitude and Quadzilla Adrenaline with Pulse are both good boxes that also have built in gauges, they also both have an optional A-piller mount. Either of these could save you from buying the gauges. The Juice is reported to be more stable, but the Quad has more power, more adjustability, and can be upgraded with custom tunes.

There are several articles on here about modifying the stock airbox, changing the stock airbox for a BHAF (BigHonkinAirFilter), or adding a cheap aftermarket air filter, any of which would give you a better air intake for under $100.

· On call 24/7
13,747 Posts
Look in the classifieds at the top of the page and you can find good deals on trucks and performance parts. Unless you are wanting a 6speed I wouldnt rule out the 98-01 trucks either, they are all identical with very little hp differences.

· Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bump to top for more help:headbang:

· Registered
60 Posts
well if your thinkin about going to a high hp then you might want to think about to getting studs they will keep your head from lifting off your block...i've had about 3 friends that that happed to...oh and gauges i would go with mechanical ones cuz i don't trust that electrical stuff...oh when you are buying your check the turbo and make sure the blades aren't lose...thats will get you started have fun...

· Registered
1,420 Posts
You don't "need" injectors with what your planning on doing. If you do install a box or programmer you won't get all the ponies out of it without some injectors. I had a box before sticks and when I got them in it was a whole different animal. The low end was what really got enhanced by the injectors but they improved the rest of the RPM range also. I bought a set of Jammer 3's which are rated at 100hp. They were cheap and they are still running strong. There are much much better quality sticks out there that you can buy if you don't mind going broke but for 275 bucks I could'nt get a better deal. Iwould also suggest 2 more gauges, tranny temp and fuel press. The fuel press. gauge saved my I.P. a few times. Even if you go with the airdog get the fuel press. gauge. You won't need to bother with studs unless you get a larger turbo and build over 45psi. So many other little things like a good low stall TQ and a perf. Valve body, BHAF, tranny cooler, deep sump tranny pan.

· Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bump Again :)

· Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
An auto preferably.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.