Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

new to the common rail

1585 Views 24 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  seeingred
i know my way arount the 12v really well, but im new to the cr. my question is mine smokes afer 2000rpm its a black grey when you are workin it hard i know its normal for a diesel. just wondering if its normal for the new ones? thanks
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,704 Posts
Mine seems to have moods. Sometimes I can roll a little coal, and sometimes clean as a whistle. My bumper does have the black badge of honor on it too. I am assuming you checked the air and fuel filters, and it's not turning day into night. How is your mileage?

· Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2006 Mega Cab 2wd bone stock auto trans and if I pour the coal to it I can see a black cloud in the rear view mirror, it has me a little concerned since my old 2000 model would not do this no matter how hard I pushed it

· Banned
5,760 Posts
A stock 3rd gen in good condition should not smoke much at all. Especially if you are at 2000 RPMs cause the turbo should be spooled nicely by then.

· Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya its all stock changed all the filters when i got it. it starts fine no smoke at all runs smooth just when i throttle it hard above 2000 it rolls a little coal

· Registered
4,608 Posts
mine will smoke under hard throttle when the air filter is getting clogged. my truck is stock, and done this since it was new when the air filter is bad.

· Cummins Fanatic/INJECTION PUMP TECH ADVISOR
419 Posts
Nope your truck should not smoke. You may be able to get a small puff while running it hard and changing gears but if it is only occurring over 2000 RPM you should check your air and fuel filters. Since you have warranty though you should get the dealer to check it out.

Any automotive diesel made in the last 30 years can run clean and not smoke. It doesn't matter if it's a '79 VW, '85 GMC 6.2L, or '93 Dodge 5.9L. The problem is most diesels are poorly maintained and running around with warn out injectors and injection pumps.

· Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i know its not the air filter or fuel filter cause i changed them not even a week ago. and it didnt change anything. I might take it to the dealership next week.

· Banned
5,760 Posts
Do you have a boost gauge? I am guessing no. The reason I am asking is that you may have air leaking out of your intake system somewhere. The leaking air would be reducing your air to fuel ratio, so you would produce some smoke under heavy fueling.

· Registered
111 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned at all. When my truck had 98 miles on it and up 12000 still stock it would blow smoke periodicaly. If you drive it light for an extended period of time and then lay into it a little its like cleaning it out. I wouldn't worry too much unless milage drops significantly or smoke worsens to the point of concern.

· Banned
5,760 Posts

· Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks everyone i dont think i will worry about it unless it gets worse

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.