Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little bit of background, I'm not new to owning a Cummins but new to upgrading. I've had my truck since it was new in 99 and have loved every min of it but have never done anything other than add airbags to it. The truck currently has 85,000 miles on it and after riding in a friends truck I have been bitten by the performance bug. I have about $4,000 to put in it right now and another 5 in a few more months. I don't want to put the cart in front of the horse so I will list what I want please give me feedback on what you think and what should come first. Anyone that is a sponser I am open to price quotes I will be on this pretty quick. This is what I am looking to add not necessarlily in this order which is why I'm looking for advice.

1) BD-Power Super "B" Twin Turbo Kit

2)Southbend Clutch
3)DDP 150 HP injectors
4)Air-dog 150
5) Adrenaline Performance Module
6)Snow Performance Boost Cooler Stage3
7)Banks Power Single Monster Exhaust System

8)DDP headstuds

Is this too much? Not enough? Missing something? Looking for your experience any help will be much appreciated.
I thank you in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
i'd like to have the money that's in your list, but i'll get there eventually...

lift pump replacement...and have some $$$ set aside for a new VP44...if it's still the stocker...mine lasted 156k.

exhaust--i'd go with someone a bit cheaper in the $$ department--IMO

O-ring the head, since anything more than 50PSI can/will blow it out

·
Registered
529 Posts
This might be a dumb answer but, remember the tranny. You should be safe with the Quad and injecters for a little while, but you will not get to the higher levels of the quad unless you have beefed up that trans. Sounds like this will be a fast truck when you get it done!:hyper:

·
Registered
634 Posts
He has clutch on the list. First thing you should check is to make sure you don't have the "53" block. These are prone to cracking, especially when you start making a lot of power. If that checks out fine I think you're on your way. I would also look into the intake horn, like a cfm unit. You can do a search on here for those, and I would also think about upgrading the air to air aftercooler. The stocker will be holding you back with those kinds of mods.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
that truck is gonna be bad a$$!!!

I would go clutch and fuel pump first, then get the quad and sticks....:thumbsup

With the twins they got the towing and a race set, think the towing are good up to like 550-600hp!!

Talk to Gus @ farmboydiesel and John barker @ Holland Court.. both good guys with great advise. They both can get you all you need....:thumbsup

·
Registered
337 Posts
I would say some gauges would be a good idea

Your truck is going to be sweet

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for your input so far. So a couple of follow up questions.
The clutch was always going to be my first upgrade which eats through half my money right there so if I follow that up with the air-dog 150 followed by injectors and finally the Adrenaline. I've now eaten through everything I have for a few months until probably early fall my question is will the stock turbo be my weakest link? will I still see gains? and will I be damaging other "weak links" along the way? and if so what should I watch for?

Thanks again everyone for your help

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
if it were me personally and i had that kind of money, i have sat here and come up with a list of mods about 30 times in the past. i would start off with of course gauges clutch, fass or air dog and exhaust. then adrenaline sticks, oring and studed head. i think that i would do the turbo last, just my honest opinion. and it depends on what you are going to be doing with the truck when i would decide on the turbo. if it were for pulling/racing, i would honestly probably go with a big single myself but thats just me. if you are going to tow with it i would go with the twins like you said, but im thinkin those twins could handle some more fuel than 150 hp injectors, maybe some 200's. once your out of money, save up for a monster pump (vp44), high performance valve springs, cams and such....once you have reached your goal, throw a new turbo(s) in it different injectors and p-pump it!!!! man this is a never ending addiction...believe me, i have thought about this quite a lot in the past.

·
Registered
11 Posts
the truck in the sig is a bamf! but i have a val air clutch and havent had a problem with it. its cheaper and the same quality in my opinion so look into it. it might save some money in the end. but it looks like you are on the right track. just be careful cuz once the hp bug has bit you its over!!!!:hyper:

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
how do you check to see if you have a 53 block?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
my list of mods would be as follows:

exhaust: $300-450
intake: $bhaf $55-65
guages: $ 400-550
big fuel & hollley pump: $ 250-400
drag comp/adrenaline: $450-600
valair dd clutch: $1300-1600
injectors: 150 hp $750-900
studs and rebuild head: $450-600
turbo: $900-1800

this type combo should get you close to 500 horses and not lose any reliability or towing ability. just keep reading the forums you can go cheaper routes and still build a bad donkey truck!!! the best part of a cummins is most of the work can be done by yourself. there's nothing wrong with buying used parts either. there's a lot of them out there.
just have fun . :peelout

1 - 13 of 13 Posts