Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I’m new to the Cummins world. I’ve wanted one for many years and I finally got one. I just bought a 2007 ram 2500 6 speed manual with a 59 Cummins. The truck is mostly 100% stock. It’s got a K&N air filter in it other than that I don’t think anything is been done. I’ve been researching a bit about bypass coolant systems. The air dog And lift pump systems. Bypass coolant system to keep five and six cylinders cooler. And some intake airbox modifications and what not. And some intake airbox modifications and what not.My question is basically where should I start. What should I do first

·
Registered
809 Posts
Get rid of the k&n intake they are garbage. I’d go with afe or s&b If you want an aftermarket lift pump go fass, airdog sucks. The coolant bypass is not a bad kit. All in all, what you do to the truck depends on what your going to use the truck for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get rid of the k&n intake they are garbage. I’d go with afe or a&by. If you want an aftermarket lift pump go fass, airdog sucks. The coolant bypass is not a bad kit. All in all, what you do to the truck depends on what your going to use the truck for.
Honestly I don’t plan on doing anything exciting with it. I will occasionally haul stuff with it. But I’ll do a lot of highway driving due to family living far away so I want to try to get the most mpg as I can

·
Registered
809 Posts
Honestly I don’t plan on doing anything exciting with it. I will occasionally haul stuff with it. But I’ll do a lot of highway driving due to family living far away so I want to try to get the most mpg as I can
Then intake, exhaust, gauges, and efi live.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
For what you're looking for, keep it stock. If still have the stock intake, put a nice 4" filter in it. Either way, get rid of the K&N filter. I do recommend upgrading for fuel filtration. Other then that, all the other parts you listed are not worth the money.

Reactions: tryNto

·
Trying to learn
6,232 Posts
Agree with @GRUNT 11B leave it stock, just add the extra 3 mic fuel filtration and the 4" pleated air filter.
None of those other things will gain you any mpg to speak of, even 'tho the sales pitch claims they do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My brother in law (owner of a 2001 cumins until 2018) told me to get the bypass oil filter system. For the longevity of the engine. I am going to do that and a bypass coolant system. Mainly for the life of the engine. I guess I should do the fuel system also.
the mpg now is not bad( According to the Gauge on the ceiling of the cab) I was cruising through town last night doing about 45 at 1700 RPMs and I was rocking around 25 mpg on flat ground on a cool evening

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For what you're looking for, keep it stock. If still have the stock intake, put a nice 4" filter in it. Either way, get rid of the K&N filter. I do recommend upgrading for fuel filtration. Other then that, all the other parts you listed are not worth the money.
With that filter system you use the stock pump right? That is cheaper than the FASS system. Are there any reported issues with the stock pumps?

·
Trying to learn
6,232 Posts
IIRC a bypass coolant system is only needed by those that push the engine with HP and lots of air/fuel running higher RPM.
OEM LP will push threw those filters easily and more, it is also good up to about 500HP and good longevity.
Also available is the GDP MK-2 filter kit. https://www.glacierdieselpower.com/i-1202-03-07-dodge-ram-5-9l-gdp-mk-2-filter-kit.html

The overhead is commonly known as the Lie-o-meter, famously known for high false readings.
A bypass oil filter system is not really needed if you do your oil/filter changes at 7-10k and being stock fueling.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
My brother in law (owner of a 2001 cumins until 2018) told me to get the bypass oil filter system. For the longevity of the engine. I am going to do that and a bypass coolant system. Mainly for the life of the engine. I guess I should do the fuel system also.
the mpg now is not bad( According to the Gauge on the ceiling of the cab) I was cruising through town last night doing about 45 at 1700 RPMs and I was rocking around 25 mpg on flat ground on a cool evening
I'm sure are many engine out there with hundreds of thousands of miles on them and they do not have a coolant or oil bypass. There is probably some pushing a million miles out there. Just keep up on your maintenance.

You need to hand calculate your fuel mileage. The overhead display is not accurate.

Reactions: tryNto

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
With that filter system you use the stock pump right? That is cheaper than the FASS system. Are there any reported issues with the stock pumps?
That filter system is just fine with a stock lift pump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts