Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I drove my 2012 2500 into a ditch at my hunting camp and the insurance company totaled it for what I though was not terrible damage. Anyway they paid me $31,000 for a 2012 4x4 Mega Laramie Longhorn with 240,000 miles. I thought that was very good money, but I loved that truck! Never thought i would get rid of her. The truck was tuned and all that so it was very fun to drive and powerful! I needed a truck fast because I'm in the RV business and do quite a bit of towing and live on a small ranch so normal truck stuff. Anyway I got a nice 2018 2500 bighorn 4x4 crew cab, it's nice but a bit boring. I have a leveling kit on order and putting Fuel Clever 22x10's with NItto Ridge ler 35's. Anyway, performance wise, any tuners without doing a delete that won't void warranty? Also I was thinking of deleting just the muffler so I could actually here the exhaust, anyone know if that is a good or bad ideas just for a little rumble? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Car
Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car Wheel

· Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
19,036 Posts
any tuners without doing a delete
Yes, Calibrated power has been doing compliant tunes for a long time, i'd reach out to them or talk with Dude's Performance and see what they can offer @Dude_57 @cumminsdieselfreak

that won't void warranty?
Nope

Also I was thinking of deleting just the muffler so I could actually here the exhaust, anyone know if that is a good or bad ideas just for a little rumble? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Honestly, won't make a lick of difference, would just be a waste of money

· Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
19,036 Posts
Are you saying that altering the factory tune on his truck won’t void the warranty? I call BS!
Here, i'll make it easier for you to read and point out where that was addressed

Font Rectangle Parallel Slope Darkness

· Registered
Change the Spark Plugs!
309 Posts
Hmm. Not seeing what I might be missing.
OP's question: "Anyway, performance wise, any tuners without doing a delete that won't void warranty?"
Loki - Nope (meaning, there are not any that won't void a warranty) ;)

· Red Rider
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Crew Cab & Chassis 4X4
17,886 Posts

· Premium Member
2014 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD SLT
990 Posts
I’m running calibrated. My actuator is going out but not because of the tune. My extended warranty is voided, it’s the price you pay to play the game.

Reactions: Jimmy N. and Lins

· Registered
1,012 Posts
Isn't the powertrain warranty up on the 2018's now? If anything maybe there is barely a year left?

There is no muffler on these trucks to get rid of - and if you want emissions compliant tuning, there is Calibrated, and there are some that do intact tuning, but turn the EGR off (which uses more DEF)

· Registered
405 Posts
Isn't the powertrain warranty up on the 2018's now? If anything maybe there is barely a year left?

There is no muffler on these trucks to get rid of - and if you want emissions compliant tuning, there is Calibrated, and there are some that do intact tuning, but turn the EGR off (which uses more DEF)
If I went with emissions on tuning I’d probably go with intact over compliant and have the egr turned off. I have yet to see the egr do anything good for an engine, and leaves everything inside a mess. A little extra def is a small price to pay for not having internals gummed up with soot.

· Registered
5,663 Posts
I believe my 2012 had a muffler? So all the sound deadening then is done through emmissions equipment? Last thing in line sure looks like a muffler?
I believe older ones did. A 2018 would not.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Well, I do still have some factory powertrain but I also bought an extended warranty. I have had so many truck problems lately, not necessarily with mine but wife's and kids, I just wanted a warranty and there was no way I was paying new truck money. Son drives a 2002 2500 with about 300,000 and wife drives 2002 Excursion 7.3, and 2013 Jeep. Anyhow just seems like there is always one needing something.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can’t believe that was a total loss, was there frame damage?
No frame damage. I brought it to a Dodge dealer and they quoted me about $4,000 to fix suspension and I was going to drive it home and have a shop I do business with do body work. Minor dents, scratches along the side. Insurance adjuster disagreed with their repair estimate and says he doesn't think the truck would ever be the same and said they would get close to 50% of their money back at salvage, I believe $14,900 was the buy back number? So he wrote it up as a total loss and cut me a nicer check than I was expecting.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just hate the way the truck sounds, you just here those few little knocks or diesel sounds up front and no rumble from the exhaust. Sounds kind of crappy but I guess I'll get used to it? It is a nice driving truck and pulls well. Had to tow my sons truck in this morning!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts