Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

new to forum

646 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  illflem
Hey all. New to forum, been reading and checkin' things out for awhile but haven't posted 'till now.I own a 06 LBZ Duramax...........................wait, don't cuss me yet. I just recently bought a '96 12v (about two weeks ago) and had some questions, some or maybe all dumb, just wanting to learn what's the best thing to do to these engines. The truck has 275,000, it runs good and has never been messed with, it still has the factory exhaust under it I believe. The one draw back I don't really like, but can work around considering how good of shape the truck is in, is it's an automatic. Now, I know you can't push the trans. much but it still shifts good and has clean fluid so I'm going to leave it 'till it blows. I want to still be able to use the truck for a little towin (most will be done with my duramax) and mainly just driving.
I know there's a lot of really good 12v people on here from what I've read and I know all these questions have been asked 1 million times....but I'll ask again.

1st: Should I just turn the pump up or remove the plate completely (not real concerned about the smoke factor)

2nd: how big injector can you put in it with stock turbo or should I even change them?

3rd: Do you change the delivery valves (are they in the pump)

4th: How hard or important is this dowl pin I here about?

Is that pretty much what you should get started with or should I be lookin' at other items? Thanks for reading.
Sorry for such a long post!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
You ask a lot of questions that are up to you alone.
As for the dowel pin, it can be hundreds of times more expensive to fix any damage it causes than it costs to prevent it.
Take care of it right away unless you can afford expensive damage.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I should have been more prrecise as to what I was looking for...sorry about that.:doh: Kinda new to this forum thing. I guess I was really curios as to how much you can do to the 12v without getting crazy high exhaust temps., turbo trouble, and so on...... for basically daily driving and a little towing.
Thanks again, I love the forum and web site ya'll have. It has good info and good folks on here to help out with problems and issues people have.

· Registered
143 Posts
Hey lol search FTE Diesel Turbo Giveaway, buy a Tshirt and win a turbo or 1500 to upgrade your truck, were close to reaching the 500 mark and 20 bucks to win a turbo aint bad lol

· On call 24/7
13,753 Posts

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
I am with BigKid, what is the Killer Dowel Pin? Just bought a 98 12v and am wondering what this is all about.

thanks,
Read this Dowel Pin Awareness
Unless you can afford possibly thousands of dollars worth of engine damage you need to take care of the dowel pin ASAP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.