Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

New to forum looking for mild upgrades

1215 Views 19 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  BBRam
I have owned a few Cummins powered trucks and have never done many modifications to them. I just joined the forum and have read alot of modifications available and am just looking for some more input.

I currently own an 04 2500 with the 305 HP engine, 6 speed transmission. I have put an intake on it and looking for other mild upgrades.

I am trying to keep the mileage about the same or slightly increase if possible. The problem is I tow a trailer about 20,000 pounds every once in a while and would like more power. I have read alot about the Smarty programmers but am naive as to the difference between the different models, according to most people these are the best ones available. Will this make a difference on the 305HP engines or is it just available on the 325HP engines, also is there any other improvements I will have to do in order to keep from damaging the engine?

Is there anything else anyone would recommend over a programmer also?

Thanks in advance for the advice it will be very useful.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· CAPTAIN DILLIGAF
4,229 Posts
I have owned a few Cummins powered trucks and have never done many modifications to them. I just joined the forum and have read alot of modifications available and am just looking for some more input.

I currently own an 04 2500 with the 305 HP engine, 6 speed transmission. I have put an intake on it and looking for other mild upgrades.

I am trying to keep the mileage about the same or slightly increase if possible. The problem is I tow a trailer about 20,000 pounds every once in a while and would like more power. I have read alot about the Smarty programmers but am naive as to the difference between the different models, according to most people these are the best ones available. Will this make a difference on the 305HP engines or is it just available on the 325HP engines, also is there any other improvements I will have to do in order to keep from damaging the engine?

Is there anything else anyone would recommend over a programmer also?

Thanks in advance for the advice it will be very useful.
:thumbsup: WILL BE A GREAT HELP BUT I WOULD FIRST GET YOU SOME GAUGES BUDDY

· GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,525 Posts
the smarty will work on any common rail cummins from 2003-2007, they also have the new one out for 6.7l's now, what are you intended goals as far as power and what you will be doing with the truck? besides a little towing and a little more power? it gets addictive once you start... gauges are a must anytime you add power...

· Premium Member
19,670 Posts
Free up the exhaust.

If the lift bump is still on the fuel filter canister, you'll want to address that.

And if your looking for a mild increase in power, the Smarty Jr may be a good option.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would like to get the most power available for the money without doing any damage to the truck.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Smarty Jr and Sr.

I do drive like a grandma when not towing usually so I need it to be reliable.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I stated earlier I am new to the upgrades. What is the lift bump on the fuel canister I have not read up on that yet?

· GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,525 Posts
with yours being and 04 the lift supply fuel pump for the injection pump should be mounted on the fuel filter canister, some models like the 03-04 had them mounted to the back of the fuel filter canister, they were prone to failure....

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The difference between the Sr and Jr is about 130HP, that would be worth getting the Sr then it sounds likes, but what other mods would be required in order to run that?

· Registered
1,209 Posts
The Jr. is pre set power levels up to 100 hp i think. The Smarty Sr. is fully adjustable and power is pretty much endless based on your supporting mods. You might want to go with the jr. since you are a beginner. On your truck you would want a good lift pump, perhaps a Airdog of a Fass system. They are about the best. A lift pump is prob the most important so you don't drain your fuel rail or damage your cp3 injection pump.

· Premium Member
19,670 Posts
The difference between the Sr and Jr is about 130HP, that would be worth getting the Sr then it sounds likes, but what other mods would be required in order to run that?
A clutch as well as upgrading the fuel system (oem lift pump)

· Registered
123 Posts
I would say it depends on if your gonna turn it all the way up or leave it on 3 or 5. Airdog or Fass would be a good idea to go with too. After a while the bug will get you and youll want to turn it up and youll start slippin your clutch and have to upgrade.
Freeing up the exhaust would help out and and it sounds alot better also.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I had the lift pump replaced recently under warranty. The engine died while driving and they replaced it. I think they replaced it with an electric pump, does that sound right? Sounds like this has been a common problem and they repaired it.

· Premium Member
19,670 Posts
I think I had the lift pump replaced recently under warranty. The engine died while driving and they replaced it. I think they replaced it with an electric pump, does that sound right? Sounds like this has been a common problem and they repaired it.
Yep, it should have the in-tank pump now.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have been looking for an exhaust upgrade. Is the stock a 4" pipe, I thought about just doing the muffler delete pipe and leaving that pipe. I had replaced my exhaust on my older Dodge with 5" straight pipe and did not notice much change in the EGT with the pipe, just liked the sound much better.

· Premium Member
19,670 Posts
The 03 had the 3.5'' downpipe, not sure on the 04. . A delete pipe will help you out. The oem muffler is a major restriction.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all your help this morning. I will have to start getting a list together and looking at prices.

I will probably have more questions for all of you knowledgeable people on here.

· Premium Member
19,670 Posts
Oh, Welcome to Cummins Forum. :thumbsup:

Take a minute and fill out your signature when you get a chance. It really helps us help you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.