Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to this forum and new to diesel engines as well, looking for a bit of direction / advice & what to look for!
Looking for my next full size truck and decided to go with the Dodge cummins 5.9 I6. I have been looking at a number of used 2nd & 3rd generation 4X4s, crew cab, 6' bed and automatic transmission, would perfer all stock without power upgrades. Currently looking at a 2001 exstended cab 4X4, auto, standard 6' bed with only 78,000 miles @ $18,900. Also looking at a 2006 crew cab 4X4, auto (freshly rebuilt), 6' bed with 133,000 miles @ 17,900.
I read about the issues with VP44 injector pump and lift pumps on second generations, other than cost to replace neither looks too hard for me to tackle on my own. On third generations looks like problems with frontend ball joints and ??
Anyway, looking for advice and what to avoid.

Thanks!

Dennis B.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops! I failed to mention both trucks are 2500's.

Dennis B.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also indended use would be my daily driver to work, 80 miles round trip all freeway, little to no towing, ocasional dump trips.

Thanks again!

·
On call 24/7
12,378 Posts
I would stay away from all 2006 trucks, they seems to have the most problems of all. I have had 3rd gens and 2nd gen trucks and always end up going back to 2nd gen. A vp is cheap compared to a set of injectors or an entire rebuild from a broken injector in that 3rd gen

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Whitelightin for your input! Good stuff to know! I do like the 2nd generation body style much better than the 3rd's and later versions. So perhaps I should take a closer look at that 2001.

Thanks!

Dennis B.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks smokestack69 for your opinion!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What or why would you need to replace injectors on a third generation truck? Why would you drop/break an injector into a cylinder forcing an engine rebuild? I did see recently posted a 2006 with about 133,000 miles on which had a recent engine rebuild, replacing one cylinder. Dropped or broken injector occurance? Why?
Sorry for the questions, I just want to know!

Thanks!

Dennis B.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts