Cummins Diesel Forum banner

New to diesels

798 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Cummins6speed 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello folks, just bought my son a 2007 2500 4x4 and have just a few questions regards it. Probaly wasn't the smartest thing to do right now with the gas prices, but oh well. It is a nice truck, and the price was good. I, too want to squeeze all the MPG out of it I can. It has Nitto 37x13.5 50R18's on it and the speedo has not be recalculated. The overhead says 8 mpg, but from reading other post it may be off a few MPG. The gears, I am pretty sure are 3.73 as I can't find any tags to say otherwise. It is also an automatic. I may be looking at a programmer soon, but being new to diesels not really sure what to look for. Not really interested in max performance, because my son is driving it. Any help would be great. I know I probably left out alot of important info. Thanks for any help.

#4 ·
Thank you guys for the reply. I wouldn't say that MPG is the main concern, but it is a concern. I want/need to squeeze all I can out of it. (as with most others here). I know nothing about the programmers. Which is most reliable, which is junk. The only one I have really heard about is Bully Dog, but that may not be the best. I am looking for "real world" input from you guys. If you want to build a 1000hp blown big block, I can build it. But, with these diesels I am in the dark. Thanks folks.

#6 ·
With any power adder you will need to beef up the tranny or you will be replacing it in no time. I suspect your son may "hotrod" around some? Tranny work will need to be done. I would get a Smarty. I've got the Edge Mileage Max & so far I'm not impressed.

#7 ·
The Edge Juice w/ Attitude would be good to go with because its simple and easy with good power gains and mileage and its all at the touch of a button ... plus you get gauges and its all in one.

#9 ·
Also, you may want to get a DPF Delete kit. That will boost MPGs by 2-4. BADP sells them & have great customer service. They are out of Baytown, TX and they do installs if you needed to get it done. The Smarty's are not out yet for the 6.7 so I'd get the Edge Juice w/Attitude monitor. An intake as well. I'd go with Icebox there. They come with an Amsoil filter. It's dry with 2 micron filtration. K&N filters just aren't good enough for diesel engines, that's why I replaced mine with an Amsoil. The possibilities are endless......

#10 ·
I would look into S&B for an intake, they seem to be the best bang for the buck around the forums. Programmer wise I would say go with a Smarty JR, but if you want a chip(adjustable on the fly) I would go with Quadzilla.

Zach

#11 ·
Edge w/attitude and the Icebox intake.:thumbsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.