Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

New to Diesels....

799 Views 10 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  jmaloy5365
Hey everybody, new here and to diesels.
Got a couple questions. Being new to diesels and not knowing what is a "normal" running engine is suppose to sound and feel like I just bought my truck 12 hours ago and while driving it home I noticed that while cruising at 65mph that the engine was surging/pulsating. the tach would go up a few needs width (300-400)rpm and the engine would feel like it was bogging down "like the A/C was turning on", then the needle would drop back down and it would feel like to engine was unbogged. Any ideas?
The other thing is I have read articles that the main reason IPs go out is the lift pump don't deliver enough fuel to keep them lubed, I have a P7100. Then I have read articles that the p-pump don't need a better lift pump. Clear this confusion up for me. Thanks
Oh, And my truck aint really stock cause I already removed to turbo silencer already.:headbang:
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· On call 24/7
13,753 Posts
Welcome to the CF. Your right the p-pump is lubed by engine oil but if fuel pressure isnt high enough it wont run good. Have you changed the fuel filter?

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I just got the truck yesterday. Will check though.

· Registered
1,763 Posts
That could be a transmission problem caused by a dirty or bad TPS. See what it does if you have OD locked out.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took it for a run and it didn't start doing it until after the engine started to warm up.
I took it out of OD and didn't notice it was still doing it, but I didn't get over 50mph.
And it is having trouble shifting up, I have to let off the throttle to let it shift.

· Registered
346 Posts
Out of curiosity, did the prev. owner take care of the KDP? Do a search here on "KDP" and do some reading. Sounds like it's time to check the TPS voltages, as "illflem" says. Not too expensive to replace, if needed.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took a look at dowel pin and there is one there. Are there any others behind the gear cogs?

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TPS fixed my problem, thanks guys... and I fixed the KDP.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.