Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a Ford guy for the last 15 years and after a plethora of problems with my 2004 6.0, I crossed over to the dark side. I've been lurking in the shadows for a couple of weeks and I have some questions. I have a 2008, 6.7 ltr, quad cab, auto, 4x4 that was built on 7/7/2007 and bought on 4/15/08. Questions:
1. I can't determine the current flash on the vehicle. No new stickers on the computer, current # ends with AD.
2. When I run the VIN it says that there are no recalls or work needed.
3. 1000 miles with no glitches or cel's
4. Runs great empty or pulling a 10,000 lb trailer.
Do I need to get the most current flash or leave it alone until problems arise?
Do I need to have the overhead unit flashed so I will know if it is in regen?
I drove it off the lot before I became aware of this forum. Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Been a Ford guy for the last 15 years and after a plethora of problems with my 2004 6.0, I crossed over to the dark side. I've been lurking in the shadows for a couple of weeks and I have some questions. I have a 2008, 6.7 ltr, quad cab, auto, 4x4 that was built on 7/7/2007 and bought on 4/15/08. Questions:
1. I can't determine the current flash on the vehicle. No new stickers on the computer, current # ends with AD.
2. When I run the VIN it says that there are no recalls or work needed.
3. 1000 miles with no glitches or cel's
4. Runs great empty or pulling a 10,000 lb trailer.
Do I need to get the most current flash or leave it alone until problems arise?
Do I need to have the overhead unit flashed so I will know if it is in regen?
I drove it off the lot before I became aware of this forum. Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Yes, you need to get the lastes flash.

I believe it an AF for 08's.

Also alot of guys have been deleting the dpf and the egr. BAPD has a code free delete for the exhaust coming out very soon. If you do these things your truck will run like never before and get good fuel mileage.

If you tow alot then you will see very few problems or no problems.

It seems if you idle or no load you will have some emissions troubles.

AS for the engine you will have none.

And it will tell you on the over head if you are in regen.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Oh, :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Fill out your sig. So every one knows what you have. :thumbsup

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I filled out my SIG. Lets see if it posts!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
you want to be VERY careful living in the Republik and doing ANY mods to the exhaust on these new trucks!! Seems the word is out and CHP is checking.

I need to get min in and get the newest flashes done also. Just don't expect to see anything new on the overhead. No one has seen the fantom messages about when the regen is happening yet

Chris

·
Registered
153 Posts
AO is the current flash for the manual, 2008 ... AP is the current flash for the auto ... as of a month ago according to local service manager who is one of the better ones

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the responses. I plan on leaving the vehicle stock and would like to know if I need to visit the dealer and have them update me with the current flashes and if so how do I request this service if I'm not having any issues or cel's. Leave it alone until the cel's start showing or make up some phantom problem to get the current flashes. Thanks!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was getting a check engine light when I tried the rig out for a weekend before I bought it. They reset it, but didn't update flash. It came on again and they flashed it with AO. Check engine light came on again ... they determined the AO flash didn't complete the first time, so they reflashed. No lights since ... only have 5,000 miles on it ... last tank was 17.6 hand calc. on the highway. 14.2 local and town driving ...

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
4x4 that was built on 7/7/2007 and bought on 4/15/08.

Are you sure on that build date? The first 08 on the line was Monday July 9th at 645 AM after Mexico's summer changeover shutdown. It was shipped on July 11th at 11AM. How do I know this? I own the truck :) I took delivery of the truck in Canada on August 2nd.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
not from me but from others here. Tell them you are seeing some white smoke at startup. The other thing I have heard is to tell them that it is hard starting at different times

Chris

·
Registered
529 Posts
Are you sure on that build date? The first 08 on the line was Monday July 9th at 645 AM after Mexico's summer changeover shutdown. It was shipped on July 11th at 11AM. How do I know this? I own the truck :) I took delivery of the truck in Canada on August 2nd.
So you have the first 08 Cummins truck made? Thats pretty cool. :thumbsup

"letumwork" you will be glad you joined the Cummins side. WELCOME!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the responses. I double checked the sticker on the inside of the door and it does indeed indicate a mfgr date of 7/07 and the VIN indicates the truck is an 08. I guess it may be one of the first 08's built. Time will tell if thats good or bad but so far I'm very pleased with the truck. I'm still not sure if I should insist on a current flash or leave it alone if it's performing well. Thanks again for taking the time to post to my questions!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts