Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. This is the first forum I have ever been a part of and so far it looks like this community is great. I will try and keep this short, but look forward to feedback and learning some new things. This was recommended by a friend and felt like the right place to come for insight.

I am currently hunting for my first Cummins. Have never owned a diesel before, but have been set on a Cummins for several years now. At the moment I have my eye on a 2013 Ram 2500 Laramie (~124K miles), which is bone stock and appears to be well taken care of and hope to be purchasing within two weeks unless something better comes up.

The first question is what are some of the repairs or things to look out for when purchasing the truck? Are there any components, fluids, or misc. about the truck that you wished you had looked at when you bought yours? This will not only be the first diesel, but also a vehicle with a turbo and although I am somewhat competent with mechanical things I am far from familiar with a diesel engine. Youtube and reading reviews have shed some light on the truck and maintenance, but it would be great to hear from other owners who have dealt with these trucks.

Secondly are the deletes and tune. I wanted to get this done first for the obvious reasons and have heard repeatedly that life with the truck will be much better after these mods. Being totally honest here, but I am still learning more about the delete and tuning process as a whole, but am very excited to take on the challenge. Would love to hear anyones recommendations on kits/tunes that have worked well for them or that they wish they had bought as well as lessons learned on their journey with their truck.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and again I look forward to learning and reading feedback.

-Fog

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
Well, I would suggest looking for a newer, lower mile truck.

Newer than 2013, because the 2013 2500 has a carry over frame and suspension from the 2012 with the leaf spring rear suspension. And, in late 2014 into 2015, they switched over to a different radiator setup that is more reliable.

So, were it me, I wouldn't buy anything but a 2015 or later, and of course the lower the miles the better.

You'll pay more, but you'll get a better truck.

As to deleting, since the EPA has been cracking down on the delete parts manufacturers and tuners, it is getting harder to do the delete. You can still do it but it's not as easy as it used to be, and if you need product and tuning support later on you may be SOL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I would suggest looking for a newer, lower mile truck.

Newer than 2013, because the 2013 2500 has a carry over frame and suspension from the 2012 with the leaf spring rear suspension. And, in late 2014 into 2015, they switched over to a different radiator setup that is more reliable.

So, were it me, I wouldn't buy anything but a 2015 or later, and of course the lower the miles the better.

You'll pay more, but you'll get a better truck.

As to deleting, since the EPA has been cracking down on the delete parts manufacturers and tuners, it is getting harder to do the delete. You can still do it but it's not as easy as it used to be, and if you need product and tuning support later on you may be SOL.
@Ltngdrvr Thanks for the quick response!

That is some great information on the year to year differences. I was about an hour late getting a 2016 MegaCab, but that one had ~150k miles. I've heard time and time again that Cummins can run for an incredible number of miles except I am sure that comes with some repairs here and there as well as replacing other components over time. Is there a milage limit that you would recommend staying below?

Have heard the EPA is becoming more of an issue with the delete. Would the issue later on down the road be getting parts or would it be with the tune? I had read that it was still relatively easy to get the equipment/tune from companies in Canada or other foreign countries with a little more relaxed emission standards. With everything considered would you still recommend going through with the delete when the time came?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
The lower the miles, newer the truck the better.

My truck has 523K+ miles on the original stock emissions with just a few repairs and the recall on the SCR cat.

Now, I use my truck differently than most, it is a work truck that runs nearly 100% highway miles and 50% heavy towing, and this has quite a bit to do with how it has held up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lower the miles, newer the truck the better.

My truck has 523K+ miles on the original stock emissions with just a few repairs and the recall on the SCR cat.

Now, I use my truck differently than most, it is a work truck that runs nearly 100% highway miles and 50% heavy towing, and this has quite a bit to do with how it has held up.
@Ltngdrvr

If I could I would just buy a brand new truck, but the budget (and my wife) won't let that happen. There have been some newer trucks (2016-2018) with no more than 110k miles. They are the Tradesman and SLT models for the most part, but I honestly don't mind the lack of leather seats or updated dash. Since this is going to be the first, and hopefully only for several years, I would like to buy the best truck within the budget just like everyone else.

When you mentioned a more reliable radiator setup have you seen substantial issues with the older setups or the suspension? The reason I ask is because there have been some older trucks (2010-2014) that I have seen with fairly low miles. They are well within the budget, but again if the difference in reliability from year to year is that great I would happily stay at the top end of the budget just for reliability.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts