Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

New to 3rd generations ????

614 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  twhetten
I have a 1999 Dodge cummins and have had nothing but problems out of it. I am not really familiar with the 3rd generations, but are they any better? I am looking at an 03 6 spd 2500 with 120,000 miles. What are the things to look for here? The electronics are what seem to go bad on my 1999, are they any better on the 3rd gen?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
356 Posts
All of the 3rd generation trucks seem to be made in Mexico (the first digit of the VIN will be 3), and Mexican-made vehicles seem to have more electrical problems than vehicles made in other countries. You can ask Volkswagen, Nissan, and GM, too.

3rd gen trucks have extremely expensive injectors ($320 apiece is about the lowest you'll find), and have some other annoying issues like drivetrain vibration.

Do you know the history of the truck you're looking at, or is it at a dealership or something? If the fuel filter hasn't been changed religiously (and even that's not enough), you WILL need to replace injectors.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So in your opinion would I be better off with something that I think I know all the issues with.
I want longevity and pulling power, and I can't find a 12 valve!!!!!!!
Thanks

· SNAFU
4,724 Posts
Ive never had an electrical problem with my truck at 140,000. I had the drivers side door lock quit working and had to replace that but it was only $40. I dont know anybody that has had an electrical problems. It would help to find out the history of the truck. The NV5600 6 speed is an excellent transmission, and since it is a 6 speed that means that it is alot a HO motor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.