Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Im a new owner of a 2nd gen truck and had a couple of questions.....I know the lift pumps in these truck are bad and go out a lot, but I think I read some were as long as you have 5psi of fp at WOT to the ip you should be ok even with fueling upgrades, is this true? I put a fass system on my 3rd gen truck and it didn't make much of a difference. And how does one know if there lp is going out, my truck has 190,000 miles on it and I just replaced the ball joints and front brakes so I don't feel like spending $700 on a fass system or something like that, and would like to upgrade sticks to something with a little bit of power.....

Thanks,
Justin

·
Go for Broke
6,694 Posts
i would not let it go below 10psi.....a cheaper pump can be used also

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
I don't care what site or person says... But this pic below is straight from the Dodge Factory Service manual...

MINIMUM FUEL PRESSURE IS 10 PSI AT WOT!

Trust me I lost my first VP44 at 8-9 PSI worth of fuel pressure. But I was lucky it was under warranty yet...:w:

Not to meation that if you do the volume testing on a fuel pump with 8-9 PSI if will fail the Dodge TSB testing...
Lift Pump Diagnostics

Test 1

Test 2

Test 3

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, so what fuel pump should look for thats not worth an arm and a leg.....I don't need filters just a better pump thats not hard to install

·
Registered
206 Posts
you can get a fass without the filters

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i know but the fass I have on my 3rd gen truck is loud and the filters are expensive......that being said I have looked into the Airdog systems, are these worth the money, and are they hard to install(cut fuel lines, drilling frame, etc..)sould i get a low pressure warning light too

Thanks
Justin

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
thanks guys, so what fuel pump should look for thats not worth an arm and a leg.....I don't need filters just a better pump thats not hard to install
Actually you rally do need the filters... It filters down to 2 microns compared to 10 microns of the stock filter... On top of that then you never need a fuel injection cleaner because the particles that do pass the filter are small enough to pass the injectors... If not the Edge filters just before the injectors will take care of it...:thumbsup

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow thanks for a info, so is an airdog a safe bet, should I get the low pressure warning light first and when the pump goes out get the airdog? trying to save a little money so I don't spend it all at one time! I can hear the pump run when I bump the key to start for like 20 sec or so....I think the pump still works am I right?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
wow thanks for a info, so is an airdog a safe bet, should I get the low pressure warning light first and when the pump goes out get the airdog? trying to save a little money so I don't spend it all at one time! I can hear the pump run when I bump the key to start for like 20 sec or so....I think the pump still works am I right?
You need a good ol' fashion fuel pressure gauge...

Low pressure light is rather annoying... I've got a campaign pump switch now and it triggers at 3-5 PSI. Under heavy load the light flickers even though my pressure is 15-17 PSI... The pressure switch is seeing the pulsations from the VP44...:w:

Just because the pump runs doesn't mean its pumping... All 4 of my cater pumps still whine when the power is put to them but they weren't pumping fuel... (Less than 10 psi on all 4 pumps)...:w:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have an Airdog and I have no complaints I haven't seen below 15psi at wot. I have read that the pump is the same as the FASS, Airdog is the father of the owner of FASS

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
where is a good place to buy a pressure gauge with all the fittlings for our trucks?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
I bought DiPricol gauges... But I got all my boost and Fuel pressure gauge plumbing at Autozone...

Oil pressure tubing kit is rated for 150 PSI burst pressure. So I highly doubt a 35 PSI turbo or a 15 PSI fuel pump will blow it out... Each kit supplies everything you need fittings etc. They cost about $8 to $10 bucks...:w:

If your really worried about it you could upgrade the tubing to air line or brake line nylon tubing...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just ordered a guage today with the banjo fitting hopefully when I set it up its not at 0psi! I would hate to put a new lift pump on this truck already have not even had for a week yet, but I just straight piped it today and man nothing sounds better than a vp truck straight piped I love it!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the fass 150/150 and it's not loud at all (love it) and I'm never below 15 on the gauge. I did start having problems with the banjo fitting starting to leak. I need to find another fitting.

I did change the VP44 after I was getting dead pedal. Works great now.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well put the gauge on her tonight and she is a rock soild 11psi but drops to 6psi at wot, only one question, does all the fuses in the fuse block have 12v's all the time, I hooked up the power wire for the light to every single fuse and the darn light on the gauge keep coming on.....?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Too Low!

MINIMUM PRESSURE IS 10 PSI @ WOT

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use the original type fuel pump on my truck. I change it every 50,000 miles.I have never had any problems. 190,000 on truck still running strong.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
really? o well truck seems to run fine right now but looks like I need to buy some sort of lift pump in the future.....btw I tried the 2 stroke oil thing and its really does work....avg. 18.2mpg now was 17.1(around town driving)

·
Registered
313 Posts
10 pounds min?!?! Unless my Edge is reading wrong I've never seen over 10 psi at idle. No wonder it's starin to seem like my VP's takin a dump. So if I look into an additional lift pump or pusher pump, I know you should have 15 or so psi's....but what kind of flow is req'd for the I.P. to be happy?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts