Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off I just picked this truck up yesterday but I deploy here very shortly so I wont be able to do anything with it till i get back.

Looking for suggestions and ideas for a bobtail build up. Its a 1990 D350 28k miles 1800hrs with 7.17 gears and a Detroit locker in the rear and a shortened frame making the whole thing less than 13.5 feet long. The poor thing sat for almost a year but even with it being 15 degrees it fired right up without having it jumped. When I was towing it home my truck trailer and the little guy weighted in a 19k so its not light.

Obviously the first step will be getting 3.54s so I can drive it at normal speeds. I will get rid of the steelies and put some decent wheels with some nitto 420s on there. Then get rid of the massive rear "bed" because its heavy and useless, Im thinking of puting a small wooden flat bed on there mainly because hacking down a regular ram bed would be counter productive. That followed by repainting the whole thing to get rid of the green dont know what color but was thinking on silver.

Then on the the motor, I built my CR to over 800hp and love playing with turbos but I dont know much about the fuel side of things on the VE. I want to test the limits of the VEs fueling first just to see how its like but to get into the 11s im game for whatever.

Transmission- the 727 has to go was thinking 47xx or even a 48re with the standalone controller

Just looking to build a fun little first gen thatll do 11s, money isnt really an object as being single allows me to spend as much as I want towards trucks lol

Looking forward to the help itll give me something to research and think about while deployed and give me something to look forward to when I get back as I plan to get parts shipped to my house and stack up in the garage waiting for my arrival :party018:

·
Premium Member
20,145 Posts
Looks like a fun project, I saw something similar to that for sale some time ago.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Nitrous ? P7100 ? New Suspension ? 4WD ? Single or Twins ? Also I like the 47re Idea !

·
Registered
488 Posts
he said he wanted to push the limits of the ve first, im sure hell be swapping to p7100 soon tho haha id go with a 47rh since theres no electronics to deal with and a good intercooler swap since ur non-IC...i wonder how much cost/weight it would be to build an all aluminum flatbed for tht thing! looks sweet

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nitrous ? P7100 ? New Suspension ? 4WD ? Single or Twins ? Also I like the 47re Idea !
Nitrous-Prob not unless its absolutely needed

p-pump- eventually but i want to see how well itll do with just the VE

suspension- stick with the stock leafs prob lower the rear slightly, traction bars will be a must till a 4 link down the road happens

4wd- meh

turbo-I liked the s467 and the s472 I had on my CR but spoolability with a mechanical pump might make them less fun but smaller single first then an s400 framed charger then depending on how that is twins could be an option

·
Registered
624 Posts
I think getting rid of the leafs would help alot they are very heavy

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
dump the 500 lb block of concrete from the rear also might give it alittle more get up n go .

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've been looking for a air compressor set up like that, is that a custom job?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think I have seen that truck on ebay quite a few times. Or one that look real similar

Sent from my DROID4

·
Registered
133 Posts
something that short and capable of 11's is going to be a handfull!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Cool little tug, I'd say 4 link, remove the bed, put some hotshot fenders on it with an aluminum 18 wheeler tank mounted sideways behind the cab, maybe a couple 6" stacks, would be interesting!

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been looking for a air compressor set up like that, is that a custom job?
Its a custom set up for air brakes on trailers, its pretty neat but I'm going to pull it off.

Cool little tug, I'd say 4 link, remove the bed, put some hotshot fenders on it with an aluminum 18 wheeler tank mounted sideways behind the cab, maybe a couple 6" stacks, would be interesting!
Didn't think about a aluminum tank I was just going to use the tank that is already mounted on the top right behind the cab but I bet it's real heavy. Good call on the hot shot fenders I'll have to look into them some more

·
Registered
244 Posts
I would be interested in the compressor set up.

·
Registered
665 Posts
When I was towing it home my truck trailer and the little guy weighted in a 19k so its not light.

Obviously the first step will be getting 3.54s so I can drive it at normal speeds. I will get rid of the steelies and put some decent wheels with some nitto 420s on there. Then get rid of the massive rear "bed" because its heavy and useless, Im thinking of puting a small wooden flat bed on there mainly because hacking down a regular ram bed would be counter productive.

Then on the the motor, I built my CR to over 800hp and love playing with turbos but I dont know much about the fuel side of things on the VE. I want to test the limits of the VEs fueling first just to see how its like but to get into the 11s im game for whatever.

Transmission- the 727 has to go was thinking 47xx or even a 48re with the standalone controller

Just looking to build a fun little first gen thatll do 11s, money isnt really an object as being single allows me to spend as much as I want towards trucks lol
Neat truck! I've been thinking about building one of those airport tugs for a while. You'll need about a 10lb per HP to run 11's, which is doable considering how light the truck will be. My normal 89 was 4850 pounds without driver stock, so I'd think yours would be 4000-4500, which means about 450rwhp will be needed to reach your goal.

Now for the bad news....your power goal is both easy and hard, depending on how you want to do it. Timing, nitrous, water-meth, and an external gate should get you there, even with the 727 trans. If you want to do it "on fuel" it will be harder. You can always go with a 14mm, but they are hit and miss on reliability.

For the fuel only build, I'd do a 5x18 or 6x16 injector, lots of timing, water-meth, 47rh trans with manual valvebody, and a 62-64mm turbo. Going bigger really isn't needed. I'd also run a grippier tire than the 420, something like a Sportsman Pro or E.T. Street. Any advice, just let me know!

Reactions: CalebZ400

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Ahhhh, brings back memories, my 78 motor came from a 91 non IC truck just like that. Getting the front end 36" towards the heavens with 7.17s was no problem! ---Note to self, get motor mounts on the way home....
These trucks are gems, I got mine for a song, the paint was still on the manifolds of #1 & #6 when i got her with 29,xxx. I stripped and shipped her to the scrapper. wish I had a 68 Eldo to put her in.....anyways-- congrats on the score, enjoy her!
FYI, keep that tank, it will come in handy.
.....and yes that piece in the rear under the tank is filled with concrete, good for the wallet at the scales!

you know while your filling out your life insurance form, USBODY.COM makes a glass tilt nose right?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts