Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought I'd wake this forum up a little with that age old question, what tires should I get? It's getting near time for new tires on the truck in my sig. This truck is on pavement 99% of the time. Stock suspension and will stay that way, If I did anything it would be a reverse lower. It's my daily driver and tows 7500# fifth wheel, often with a boat behind that, about 6 - 10 times a year. 17K a year to & from work on the express way. The only off road it sees is state land access roads during hunting season, and that usually with the fiver behind. I think a HT tire makes the most sense. What I've gleaned from searching & reading, the HT does better than an AT in rain and snow. Being in Michigan I see lots of both. Leaning real heavily toward Toyo HT II. Read Thuren's articled on front end, steering and tires and he likes Toyo's. Any comments welcomed.

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
I would not want a HT tire up north where I would see a good bit of snow fall. An AT tire will do way better in snow, than a HT.... but a HT "should" be better in rain. A HT "should" give better fuel efficiency. The Toyo and Nitto crowds are pretty loyal, and probably for a good reason.... they normally hold up well and perform well. I would suggest probably the top 3 AT tires: the Nitto Terra Grappler G2, the Toyo Open Country A/T II, or the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've been running Hankook Dynapros since I bought my truck 5 years ago, haven't had any complaints with them. Tow good, work well in inclement weather (Arizona).

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
I've been running Hankook Dynapros since I bought my truck 5 years ago, haven't had any complaints with them. Tow good, work well in inclement weather (Arizona).
Might help to know which model????? There are 5 different models of Dynapro :confused013:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YEah, snow was one of the big questions I had. Somewhere on a forum I read someone’s opinion that an HT was a little better in snow, maybe it was ice? I had a Set of Hankook HTs on a half ton. They were good for the first half of tread wear and then developed a propensity to hydroplane. Snow traction decreased markedly at that point also, very similar to the worn out Big-O Bigfoots I have now. Other than that, they wore well and stayed in balance. Prior to that I’ve always run A/T’s on my trucks. I was all excited about the Ridge Grapplers until I read numerous reviews of them wearing out fast on 3/4 ton diesel trucks. I could be talked into Open Country AT’s.

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
I have zero experience with Ridge Grapplers, but have read both good and bad reviews for longevity. One thing to keep in mind is.... some people coudnt get decent longevity out of the best tire in the world. Their driving style and/or lack of truck maintenance prevents it. I did though get 50,000 miles out of a set of 285/75/17 original Terra Grapplers, and 35,000 miles out of a set of 35x12.5/17 Terra Grappler G2s. I would have probably got 50,000 out of the G2s, but that was my fault.... chasing a bearing/ball joint issue

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
So I thought I'd wake this forum up a little with that age old question, what tires should I get? It's getting near time for new tires on the truck in my sig. This truck is on pavement 99% of the time. Stock suspension and will stay that way, If I did anything it would be a reverse lower. It's my daily driver and tows 7500# fifth wheel, often with a boat behind that, about 6 - 10 times a year. 17K a year to & from work on the express way. The only off road it sees is state land access roads during hunting season, and that usually with the fiver behind. I think a HT tire makes the most sense. What I've gleaned from searching & reading, the HT does better than an AT in rain and snow. Being in Michigan I see lots of both. Leaning real heavily toward Toyo HT II. Read Thuren's articled on front end, steering and tires and he likes Toyo's. Any comments welcomed.

Mark

Love my Toyos ATII 285/75-17, great AT air down run thru sand/rocks, foot of snow no issues, got a little squirrelly once sipes wear down, not going to get past 35K though, on/off road 50/50 mixed driving.
For mostly on road IMO, Nitto Dura Grappler ,by the way Toyo owns Nitto, are what we run on fleet trucks, last a long time 60K + haul way over GVW no issues.
Next set I am going to try Coopers AT3 XLT supposedly better mileage.
Made in USA:flag1: Dont want no cornholio virus from my tires :wink2:

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've been really pleased with Toyo. Of course, I havent tried many other brands but once I bought Toyo...I've never switched brands. I hear good about Nitto, Falken, Cooper and Michelin too.

I just would not recommend General. Bought one set and the tires kept going out of round. I lived in the tire shop. That's where the dealer recommended me try Toyo and I havent switched since.

There are many great tires. Ive read really good reviews on Falken Wildpeak
I would consider trying that tire if I couldnt get Toyo.
Good luck on your choice;)

·
Renaissance Redneck BCVP
3,898 Posts
I had horrible luck with my Toyo ATs. They were deadly slicks after 25,000. They were on a brand new 2014 too, so pretty much the best case scenario for good wear. I’ve since run two sets of Cooper ST Maxx. They have been great tires. I’m going to try the AT3 XLTs as well this go around as I do less off-road with the truck, and more towing the toys these days.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Might help to know which model????? There are 5 different models of Dynapro :confused013:
Whoops!

They are the Hankook Dynapro HT RH12, those are what I have been using.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I’m running ridge grapplers right now and like them. They have good traction in rain and snow think I have about 20k on them so far and they’re wearing well. Last set was Toyo R/T’s they wore out at ~40k miles. They had good traction but did feel squirrelly for the first 5k miles. The best tires I’ve run mileage wise were nitto terra grapplers which I ~70k miles out of and also thought had good traction in rain and snow.
My main reason for going with the ridge grappler this time and not back to the terra was the weight rating on the ridge. Figured I’d give them a shot.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've been happy with my BFG AT KO2s. I get the ones with the snow flake. They do good in snow, less so in mud. It's my understanding the non snow flake version comes with a mileage warranty. They're quiet and ride smooth. Sidewall is strong. I carry an 11' slide in camper without issues. I kicked the size to 285 75 17. 33 inch tire. Looks good in the wheel well. With my stock truck they roll down the highway in the 1800 to 2000 rpm sweet spot without getting tickets.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Seriously look at 255/85/17 StMax in NE this winter had a serious Blizzard 2 to 3 feet drifts standing 18 inches and my dually walked thru all of it. Between 2 corn fields for about 100yards it was 2 feet solid from drifting 3rd gear in 4 wheel crawled thu it like a dozer never been more impressed with tires

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've been nothing but impressed with my Toyo ATIIs. I'm approaching 70K Miles on them and they might could go another 15k-20k to get down to the wear bars. They have gotten noisy in their old age, but that's my fault for not caring for them like I should have.

For what it's worth, I just watched a youtube video from a popular suspension manufacturer that had just been to an event at toyo and let it slip that a new version of the ATIIs was on the way soon.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts