Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amid everything going on right now, its hard to get excited about things.

For me, working on my stuff, and building new things gives me great pleasure, and i find it very calming and relaxing. I've been going a little nuts with a brand new truck sitting in my driveway with nothing to do to it...

My suspension finally showed up yesterday, so i am eager to now have something i can do to keep my busy.

Thanks to SuspensionMaxx for the kit. Some of these parts are the ones that GXV uses on their Ram based builds.

SuspensionMaxx will now be offering the entire kit for the 4500/5500s and I'm stoked to be working with them to test it.

Its basically a leveling kit (3" front, 2" rear) that moves the front axle forward approximately an inch to stuff bigger tires under there with minimal trimming.

Included in the kit:

-(2) CNC Precision Milled Aluminum 3" Front Coil Spacers
-(2) Rear Leaf Spring 2" Lift Blocks
-(4) Rear Spring U-Bolts
-(2) New Extended Rear Sway Bar Links
-(2) New Extended Front Sway Bar Links (not shown in pic)
-(2) Adjustable greasable "Extreme Control Link" rebuild-able upper control arms (moves front axle approx 1" forward).
-(2) "Extreme Control Link" rebuild-able lower arms (moves front axle approx 1" forward)
-(2) Rear shock extensions
-(1) Front driveshaft spacer (not shown in pic and only needed on 2018 and older models)

The fit and finish of this is quite impressive, and hell for stout.

I'll be installing this either today or tomorrow, and will provide before and after pics, and install instructions and video.

I'm not sure on when this will be commercially available (not on their website yet) to the public, or what retail cost will be, but if interested, contact them and ask for Larry. He's their 4500/5500 guy.

FULL DISCLAIMER: I was given a smoking deal on this in exchange for testing feedback, photos, and videos. But anyone that knows me, knows that if something doesn't work 100% to my liking, I will replace it. Honest real world unbiased feedback coming soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why did you choose these guys over Buckstop?
Couple reasons...

-Adjust-ability. The uppers are totally adjustable to perfectly dial in your alignment.
-It comes with complete new sway bar links, not just brackets to move the existing ones. And they are beefy as hell.
-The spacer... The buckstop spacer on the bottom just looks janky as hell to me and doesnt seat the spring all that securely, it just rides on top of it. This one attaches up top and sits into it about a full inch, preventing the spring from popping out while offroad.
-Customer service. These guys have been amazingly helpful and over the top nice with questions. Buckstop is a pain in the to talk with. Ive spoke to them a few times and no one seems to be able to answer any questions.

I got the front done today, it was somewhat of a pain in the .. Ill post pics tomorrow once i finish up the rear also.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finished it up today, other than the front sway bar mounts that havent arrived yet. Here's some pics. Fairly straight forward install other than the upper passenger side control arm bolt needs to be cut off and replaced from the other side unless you want to remove the entire exhaust from the turbo!

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few more

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Why use a spacer and not a taller spring? Is it because the 4link arms won’t allow the travel? So this work be considered a short-arm/short-travel lift kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why use a spacer and not a taller spring?
Simple... Longer springs dont exist for the 4500/5500... according to all of the major spring folks ive talked with at length.. Thuren, Carli, AEV, etc....

Buckstop uses the stock spring and a spacer too.

What i suspect, and what i am going to do... Based on how similar this is to the older 4 link design, i am GUESSING the springs are the same as the older 2500/3500, other than the weight rating.

I am trying to get my hands on a stock OEM 5500 spring, that i can just bring to Carli (i live an hour away) and see if it matches up with something they have for the 3500 that will give me 3" of lift or so. Obviously the weight rating would be different, but it might actually work out for my needs.

I needed this spacer lift to trim my fenders and get my tires fitted, so my friend can fabricate some flares and we can get started on the camper.

The springs are going to be trial and error for sure, since everyone says lift springs for 4500/5500 dont exist. Im 99% sure something will be compatible though. GUESSING the 4500/5500 market is so slim for lifts that no companies really bothered checking...

I'll post up what i find

·
Clayton @ Dude's Diesel Performance
3,471 Posts
Amid everything going on right now, its hard to get excited about things.

For me, working on my stuff, and building new things gives me great pleasure, and i find it very calming and relaxing. I've been going a little nuts with a brand new truck sitting in my driveway with nothing to do to it...

My suspension finally showed up yesterday, so i am eager to now have something i can do to keep my busy.

Thanks to SuspensionMaxx for the kit. Some of these parts are the ones that GXV uses on their Ram based builds.

SuspensionMaxx will now be offering the entire kit for the 4500/5500s and I'm stoked to be working with them to test it.

Its basically a leveling kit (3" front, 2" rear) that moves the front axle forward approximately an inch to stuff bigger tires under there with minimal trimming.

Included in the kit:

-(2) CNC Precision Milled Aluminum 3" Front Coil Spacers
-(2) Rear Leaf Spring 2" Lift Blocks
-(4) Rear Spring U-Bolts
-(2) New Extended Rear Sway Bar Links
-(2) New Extended Front Sway Bar Links (not shown in pic)
-(2) Adjustable greasable "Extreme Control Link" rebuild-able upper control arms (moves front axle approx 1" forward).
-(2) "Extreme Control Link" rebuild-able lower arms (moves front axle approx 1" forward)
-(2) Rear shock extensions
-(1) Front driveshaft spacer (not shown in pic and only needed on 2018 and older models)

The fit and finish of this is quite impressive, and hell for stout.

I'll be installing this either today or tomorrow, and will provide before and after pics, and install instructions and video.

I'm not sure on when this will be commercially available (not on their website yet) to the public, or what retail cost will be, but if interested, contact them and ask for Larry. He's their 4500/5500 guy.

FULL DISCLAIMER: I was given a smoking deal on this in exchange for testing feedback, photos, and videos. But anyone that knows me, knows that if something doesn't work 100% to my liking, I will replace it. Honest real world unbiased feedback coming soon!

Looks great my friend! Saw you post this up on instagram as well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Simple... Longer springs dont exist for the 4500/5500... according to all of the major spring folks ive talked with at length.. Thuren, Carli, AEV, etc....

Buckstop uses the stock spring and a spacer too.

What i suspect, and what i am going to do... Based on how similar this is to the older 4 link design, i am GUESSING the springs are the same as the older 2500/3500, other than the weight rating.

I am trying to get my hands on a stock OEM 5500 spring, that i can just bring to Carli (i live an hour away) and see if it matches up with something they have for the 3500 that will give me 3" of lift or so. Obviously the weight rating would be different, but it might actually work out for my needs.

I needed this spacer lift to trim my fenders and get my tires fitted, so my friend can fabricate some flares and we can get started on the camper.

The springs are going to be trial and error for sure, since everyone says lift springs for 4500/5500 dont exist. Im 99% sure something will be compatible though. GUESSING the 4500/5500 market is so slim for lifts that no companies really bothered checking...

I'll post up what i find

What about doing a coilover?

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Okay, two questions out of curiosity.

Did you actually use those shock extension brackets, or get the correct length dampers?
Also, looking at the geometry of those links, what happens to your caster when you slam on the brakes?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, two questions out of curiosity.

Did you actually use those shock extension brackets, or get the correct length dampers?
Also, looking at the geometry of those links, what happens to your caster when you slam on the brakes?
For now, used the extensions. The truck is going to see some extensive modifications and a 6-7k camper on the bag. Once everything is done and weighed, THEN I will be getting the proper custom shocks made and valved properly. Dont want to do it twice.

As for the caster when i slam the brakes. Not sure.. What are you seeing as a potential problem? I'm honestly curious, this is my first Ram

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Well, just looking at the angles of those links, it seems like your caster would disappear, maybe even go negative, when the front dips down.
Normally the frame ends are closer together than the axle ends, in order to have the imaginary lines meet at or close to the center of gravity, not behind or in front of the vehicle.

Then again, I will never understand the geometry of the 2500's rear links, yet they seem to work. Could they work better? I'd think so.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, just looking at the angles of those links, it seems like your caster would disappear, maybe even go negative, when the front dips down.
Normally the frame ends are closer together than the axle ends, in order to have the imaginary lines meet at or close to the center of gravity, not behind or in front of the vehicle.

Then again, I will never understand the geometry of the 2500's rear links, yet they seem to work. Could they work better? I'd think so.
Gotcha.. Honestly, i am not savy enough with how that all works to make a guess honestly. Ill guess ill wait and see! hahaha

If it helps at all, i have these photos, bad angle on the fixed lower arm pic. The new ones are about an inch longer:

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Gotcha.. Honestly, i am not savy enough with how that all works to make a guess honestly. Ill guess ill wait and see! hahaha

If it helps at all, i have these photos, bad angle on the fixed lower arm pic. The new ones are about an inch longer:
The problem isn't the length, its that they are no longer parallel to keep the axle relatively centered when moving up and down. You are creating a recipe for major bumpsteer.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The problem isn't the length, its that they are no longer parallel to keep the axle relatively centered when moving up and down. You are creating a recipe for major bumpsteer.
Thanks.

Appreciate the feedback, as this is all a learning experience for me.

The majority of those pics (without the wheel on) was when the truck was on the lift, and was basically at full droop. So the angles look quite whacky.

The pics with the wheels on, the angles look quite similar

Here is a before and after:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
You got slightly longer links, which helps, but to get it to work better the upper mount on the axle should probably be raised about four inches, or so.
Or you could lower the rear mount for the upper link, but that may be easier said than done.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You got slightly longer links, which helps, but to get it to work better the upper mount on the axle should probably be raised about four inches, or so.
Or you could lower the rear mount for the upper link, but that may be easier said than done.
Gotcha.. Thanks. For now, ill leave as is, get a real alignment, and see what happens.

Thank you

·
Registered
166 Posts
Considering forward thinking... if you switched to a coilovers up front, would you need different arms up front to support longer travel?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Considering forward thinking... if you switched to a coilovers up front, would you need different arms up front to support longer travel?
Not sure, i am not building this to be a long travel crawler or anything. Just fire roads and mild trails

1 - 20 of 27 Posts