Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

new smarty jr

962 8
got jr 3 days ago. installed yesterday. first 60 mile trip today. set on economy setting. all other to default. got home fuel mileage by overhead had dropped from 16.7 presmarty to 13.2. also tail pipe is so hot water sizzles on it and it smells like something burning. i didnt buy it for hp just for the economy. and it dont seem to be delivering that. any suggestions. had no problems at all loading on truck.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· In Memoriam
3,718 Posts
Sounds like you had a regeneration. You cannot judge your mileage over such a short distance when you are stock . When you regen your mileage goes in the toilet. Give it a week and see what happens. Your mileage should go up. You just need to average the mileage out over a longer span so the regens will not affect it as much.
andy

· Registered
672 Posts
Mine too had seriously hot exhaust & smelled like something was burning. It is regenning @ idle in park for some reason. I took mine off & drove it. Mine regen'd for about 20 miles. I'm gonna tow my 5er w/out it today & see if it helps. I will reinstall it for the drive home & see how it does.

· Registered
1,231 Posts
i dont own a 6.7, but if you have the DPF still on and put a Smarty on your truck. wouldnt that just clog it up faster? when i got my smarty on my 5.9 it smoked alot more. if i had a dpf on it, i think it would have damaged the engine in some way due to not allowing it to flow properly. wouldnt you want to order a DPF delete pipe and update to the ME software? i know on a gasser if the cat get clogged. it will overheat and the exhaust would get really hot.

· In Memoriam
3,718 Posts
i dont own a 6.7, but if you have the DPF still on and put a Smarty on your truck. wouldnt that just clog it up faster? when i got my smarty on my 5.9 it smoked alot more. if i had a dpf on it, i think it would have damaged the engine in some way due to not allowing it to flow properly. wouldnt you want to order a DPF delete pipe and update to the ME software? i know on a gasser if the cat get clogged. it will overheat and the exhaust would get really hot.
The smarty for the 6.7 does not smoke like the smarty for the 5.9's. It only smokes at WOT and then it is barely a light haze. OF course this is on a stock fuel system on the truck. When you start modding the truck you can and will get more smoke.
andy

· Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yup i figered it out. that was a real bad feeling. the smell was like the brakes locked up and were about to flame on. never experienced it before. about the torque management and timing settings. i have tq at default which i think is 2. is that supposed to be gentle on stock transmission. and the instructions say default for timing is 2. and that 3 and 4 were less timing. but more timing would get you better fuel mileage. where do i set that safely for better mileage.

· In Memoriam
3,718 Posts
yup i figered it out. that was a real bad feeling. the smell was like the brakes locked up and were about to flame on. never experienced it before. about the torque management and timing settings. i have tq at default which i think is 2. is that supposed to be gentle on stock transmission. and the instructions say default for timing is 2. and that 3 and 4 were less timing. but more timing would get you better fuel mileage. where do i set that safely for better mileage.
Okay I believe that 3 is less timing than 2 and 4 is more timing than 4. If you leave them set at default you will always use the correct timing and torque settings. When you set it to mpg the smarty will choose the correct timing as long as you leave it in default. When you go to towing it will choose the correct timing and toque also. The same for performance and stock settings.
That is how is is explained on the smarty and smarty pod thread located in my signature.
andy

· Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, may be getting old but it is a little confusing in the instructions. thats why i just left at default. and after the "fire" stopped my overhead started to climb back to almost 17. my overhead has always been real accurate. about +/-0.2mpg from hand calc. so things are improving. i now understand the "you tube" video of the early ford with dpf having fire shooting out the tail pipe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.