Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

New smarty and scared for my head gasket!

3244 Views 28 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  CatDiezel
I just orderd my smarty JR it should be here in a few days and I want to do an egr and cooler delete but I dont want to blow a head gasket or have to buy studs. So my question is is there anything I need to do to if any thing to prevent a failure? This is my first tuner EVER and I tow heavy.I guess I want some piece of mind.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Premium Member
124 Posts
Your head gasket should be fine just let it warm up completely before you lay on it hard.

· Registered
3,516 Posts
the current software for the jr, dosnt have the same amount of timing in it, you should be fine ,just dont crank the timing.

· Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is what I thought.It sounds good coming from other folks to though.I know i'm stoked.

· Registered
1,816 Posts

· Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VERY important.
This I understand working in the gas field.3600 cats are bad about gaulding pistons if you load them before the oil gets to operating temp.

· Registered
1,244 Posts
This I understand working in the gas field.3600 cats are bad about gaulding pistons if you load them before the oil gets to operating temp.
that has nothing to do with cold oil.....

He is referring to timing table changes due to a cold engine. The timing tables are adjusted strictly for emissions.

· Registered
2,024 Posts

He is referring to timing table changes due to a cold engine. The timing tables are adjusted strictly for emissions.
The Edge has cold engine protection . . . can anyone confirm Smarty doesn't?

You wouldn't think it'd that hard to write in the files till operating temps were reached.

· Registered
1,244 Posts
The Edge has cold engine protection . . . can anyone confirm Smarty doesn't?

You wouldn't think it'd that hard to write in the files till operating temps were reached.
Its not hard at all.....

I took every bit of that BS out of my LBZ duramax!

Its like driving a mechanical engine with electronic provisions. In other words the driver has to be smarter than the engine!!

· Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Please educate me on emmissions timming tables. This I am wanderring about since I am deleted.I'm really interested about this.I understand cylinder pressure lifts heads and I understand that advancing timing can subsantualy raise cylinder pressure. what I dont get is how 100 degrees plays such a large roll in all of this?

· Registered
2,024 Posts
Its not hard at all.....

I took every bit of that BS out of my LBZ duramax!

Its like driving a mechanical engine with electronic provisions. In other words the driver has to be smarter than the engine!!
So my question is, why are we assuming the S-67 doesn't do it already?

I don't romp on my truck when it's cold . . . but this thread is taking for granted the Catcher software isn't doing it.

· Registered
1,244 Posts
Please educate me on emmissions timming tables. This I am wanderring about since I am deleted.I'm really interested about this.I understand cylinder pressure lifts heads and I understand that advancing timing can subsantualy raise cylinder pressure. what I dont get is how 100 degrees plays such a large roll in all of this?
Cold cylinders = white smoke = unburnt fuel from a common rail.

Cold Cylinders= keystone style piston rings not being fully seated causing lower compression/not so emissions friendly burn.

The pre 6.7L cummins (CR5.9) had white smoke on startup issues for a bit and went through bookoos of flashes to resolve white smoke at startup issues.....a flash file would fix it!

I know its hard to grasp but yes even Caterpillar uses MULTIPLE timing tables according to ECT. They do not utilize engine oil temperature as a timing table adjustment. Most CAT engines dont even measure engine oil temperature, unless its a added mechanical gauge. But the ECM doesnt know whats going on with oil----unless it runs out!!:shock:

The only engine I can think of that does different timing and duration changes with oil temperature is a HEUI fuel system/engine.

Have you ever slid a large bearing over a large shaft and been 100*F off..... its night and day difference from 300* to 400* (just using this as an analogy)

:thumbsup:

· Registered
1,244 Posts
So my question is, why are we assuming the S-67 doesn't do it already?

I don't romp on my truck when it's cold . . . but this thread is taking for granted the Catcher software isn't doing it.
Oh shoot,

I dont know what the hell is even inside of Smartys files.

I never said yea or nay.....just explaing what a cold engine does and why...

· Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im not talking about timing tables.LETME RE WORD MY QUESTIONS.Does the smarty not eleminate the timing table adjustments in the ecm for the egr when running the me software?Now my cold engine question (and i'm not disagreeing just proding for info and im not a dumba$$ so I dont need laymans terms)How does low cumbustion temp and lower cumbustion efficency relate to higher cylinder pressure?

· Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
when talking about cat engines I refer strictly to 3500 and 3600 gas engines.On these engines in the adem3 configuration the ecm does monitor oil temps.

· Registered
1,244 Posts
when talking about cat engines I refer strictly to 3500 and 3600 gas engines.On these engines in the adem3 configuration the ecm does monitor oil temps.
Whatever compressor configuration your running such as Arial...... IS the lubricator and oiler using the engines engine oil, or is it pumping its own oil from the compressors crank case. I have personally seen the desgin where the lubricator pump for the compressor pistons was utilizing engine oil from the engine and being returned back to the engine.....Hannover(now exterran) packages specifically.

Typically the ADEM II, III monitors engine oil for the specific reasoning that the engines are in the field un-monitored 95% of the time(gasser). More temperatures need to be monitored on a gasser because they have the ability to run much hotter than a diesel. Not only that but being a gasser runs a 30w oil (typically) and for longer intervals, they want the ECM to record engine oil temperatures basically for failure analysis and for pre-warning of failure.

IF you will notice on any 3500/3600 ADEM III conversion/with catalyst is strictly for emissions..... a gasser burns damn clean anyways but the EPA wants the exhaust coming out of the engine to be cleaner than the air going into the engine.

· Registered
1,244 Posts
Im not talking about timing tables.LETME RE WORD MY QUESTIONS.Does the smarty not eleminate the timing table adjustments in the ecm for the egr when running the me software?

Ive asked this before and all I get told basically is shut the F up, you know NOTHING, how dare you question smarty
Now my cold engine question (and i'm not disagreeing just proding for info and im not a dumba$$ so I dont need laymans terms)How does low cumbustion temp and lower cumbustion efficency relate to higher cylinder pressure?
It doesnt, but the adjustments made to timimng do in conjunction with MORE fuel :confused013:

· Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
?I guessnthese newer comon rails have more gasser features like a diferent timming table for a cold engine?

And just exactly which compressor company are you workin for there catdiezel?

· Registered
1,244 Posts
?I guessnthese newer comon rails have more gasser features like a diferent timming table for a cold engine?

And just exactly which compressor company are you workin for there catdiezel?
I don't work for any compressor company.... Although I've rebuilt a few 4 throw Arials in my day.:thumbsup:
Performed a handfull of configuration cylinder changes, but I've never actually worked "for" them. Self Employeed.

And yes, for years they have been changing timing tables for cold/hot.....nothing new.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.