Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

Reactions: 56Cummins

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What pressures are you using? I’ll adjust as needed to get it right. The suggested pressures from the instructions sound high but good based on my very limited knowledge, but I’ll be the first to say that I’ve got a lot to learn here!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Agree completely about drilling the VB, I was thinking about drilling one smaller hole to start. It’s a lot easier to drill it bigger than filling it up to make it smaller..

·
Registered
865 Posts
That info was not in my hd2 kit. Looks like they have updated since I did mine a year ago. I don’t remember what my exact pressures were but they were significantly lower than what custom valve bodies run from my research at the time (again, about a year ago). Be safe and follow what those instructions say. You can always adjust later if needed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
That makes sense, the kit I’ve got must be a revised kit. When I talked with the Transgo guy he said the retailers hadn’t picked up the new part number and Summit did a special order. It shows on Summit now, 48RE-HD2

Do you have the TFOD-HD2 kit?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I can’t find where I ordered it what part number I have. But like I said it was a year ago so probably TFOD if I had to guess.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Appreciate your (and everyone else’s) input, even if you used a different kit! This is my first auto trans project, I’m taking a really slow and cautious approach.

Reactions: 4everlearning

·
Registered
865 Posts
I seen the HD2 and thought it was the same kit. My apologies for my mistake.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
No apologies needed!

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
Comments in red

Is this kit from DPC everything needed?

looks like it who makes it , TCS/Sonnax only brands I buy.

Is this slip in band a good one?
What brand should get Raybestos

I’ve got a Derale deep pan on the way. Pretty much settled on the DPC converter, when a high end shop makes something lower priced I think the standards are higher. Also planning to get the DPC stamped flex plate with the converter.

Derale are okay, not as strong like Mag Hytec/Goerend
OTC has gone to china those gauges should work but are low quality

Should be able to get started next weekend, assuming the pan and fluid make it here.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
You're not going to get the line pressure curve that you need with the stock hydraulics, which is what Transgo is using. Max line pressure is one thing, and quite easy to attain, really. But the pressure rise across the middle third of your throttle travel is what will make or break your setup, especially when towing. You literally cannot get an ideal curve with any off-the-shelf shift kit on the market.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Dynamic, I’ve got no illusion that any shift kit can do what an experienced pro builder can do with a VB, I’ve got way more respect for guys like you than that. My goal with this project is to extend the lifespan of my stock trans and make it work a little better so I can put my fun money into a couple of other things for a little while. All told, I’ll be into this for a grand or so, instead of the 6 grand I’m planning on spending to get it right eventually.

There’s a ton of info about similar projects out there, the difference in my plan is using an unproven product. The two new kits from Transgo caught my eye and I decided to give the 48RE-HD2 a try.

I actually looked at your full builds and made a workable plan to make the trip from Southern California to your shop to get your trans in my truck, if this current plan works out there’s a good chance I’ll be visiting you in the early months of 2022.

I’ll do my best at photographing my install and writing up the results, good or bad, lol!

Reactions: 56Cummins

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Agree completely about drilling the VB, I was thinking about drilling one smaller hole to start. It’s a lot easier to drill it bigger than filling it up to make it smaller..
What hole are you talking about here?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Yeah, those holes are a pain to plug back up later. It's also hard to believe that Transgo still has guys grinding the lands on the switch valve.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I’m thinking of drilling one hole, maybe a little smaller than the spec

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Grinding the lands? Is that where they say file “about halfway” through the side of the body?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
What happens if I skip drilling the holes completely? Softer TCC lockup?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts