1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone tried the new kits from Transgo?

48RE-HD2

Or the TFRE-PRO

Will these close the gap between a standard shift kit and a high end valve body? Cost is noticeably more, $168 and $289 where the old standard was about $80. Worth it?

Edit: TFOD-HD2 link swapped for the correct 48RE-HD2 link at Transgo.

Reactions: 56Cummins

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agree on the pro kit. I’m thinking of going that route when it’s widely available, the price should come down a bit in a month or two. That kit, plus a few other parts and a low stall TC should make my trans last another year or two.

I’m pulling an oil sample and checking my band adjustment, if those two things look decent I’m trying to do a $1000 or so non rebuild trans build. My TC has gone really soft, I want to get it out before it eats up the rest of the trans. Any power at all has the engine sitting at 2800 rpm until it locks the TC, then it starts pulling..

I’ll be starting a “budget TC” thread in the next week or two.. I’d love to find a single disc low stall TC that’s better than stock for $500-600 with a reasonable core charge..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked to Transgo today. For my use, 450 hp or so with towing and general driving around, they recommend the 48RE-HD2 kit. The hard part is that no retailers are carrying either new kit yet. I’ll call Summit and see if they have plans to pick up these things

1,049 Posts
If Installed properly it's highly recommended, replacing your torque converter would be the next step as the stock unit has a high stall speed and a weak lock-up clutch

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
Should do more research, Superior with mods better option.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m wondering if Transgo incorporated some or all of the mods Dynamic suggested in either of the new kits?

Summit replied to my call, they are selling the 48RE-HD2 kit now. $145. I’m thinking I’ll get one and see how it works. My goal is to extend the life of my stock trans on a budget, so if it grenades it’ll just get a full build unit a little sooner..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just ordered a 48RE-HD2 kit from Summit. It’s a special order, gotta call and ask for it, it’s not on the website yet. About 3 weeks out, I’ll be gathering the other parts and pieces while waiting for delivery. Plan to do the shift kit and other upgrades sometime in August, then if that goes good I’ll do a torque converter and flex plate in September or so.

Any suggestions for a low cost, low stall, single disc TC? I’m thinking about this one:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The price of the shift kit?

It is more than the old standard but includes more parts and pieces, lol! And I expect it’ll get cheaper over time, I’m just interested enough to pay the price to try something new..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Summit is amazing, got the shift kit in 2 days!

Just ordered a bunch of fluid, a filter and a deep pan with a drain plug. Plan to do a fluid change and band adjustment first, to establish a baseline. Then the shift kit after a week or two. Also wondering if any of the shiny billet small parts are worth installing?

Also ordered a cooler bypass valve delete kit from dynamic and I’m trying to figure out where the “check ball” is located so I can pull it out. Anyone know where that ball is?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I personally spent the extra money and got a custom (fit to my needs) valve body from Jon at Dynamic. Best $512.00 I've spent on this pickup. I'm very happy, the customer service is phenomenal and left me with zero guess work.

I had a TransGo in it before they tailored their kits to diesels. It was horrible. Great for gas I'll admit but not for diesels. I hope they figured it out for diesels but I wouldn't be too quick to jump on that band wagon.

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have the HD2 kit in my truck. I wish I had just saved the money to do a custom valve body. I’m not totally unhappy with the transgo and I learned a lot installing it. I’m just not completely happy with it. I think that it’s a good kit to put on a stock truck in a stock trans. I’ll be ordering a custom valve body before too much longer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It’s definitely my longer term (next year or so) to do a full trans build with a custom VB, billet input, etc. Right now my goal is to do the minor things that keep the trans alive until the full build. I’m hoping to keep under $1000 in hard parts, if that gets me a year or so before the $6k full build then I’ll be happy. Right now the truck drives good empty but any load shows that the trans is going soft..

Appreciate everyone’s input!

Reactions: 4everlearning

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
If you dont have get a good set of gauges need some, 0-100 & 0- 300 to help dial in pressures, and would not go to crazy on pressures on older/used trans .

HD anchor/strut
The Power Wedge 727, 518, 618, 47RE, 48RE unbreakable intermediate band anchor

Rostra transducer and BW solenoid upgrade

New TCC/OD solenoids mostly for new internal wiring and 8 pin plug

Slip in front(kickdown) band if yours is worn

Sonnax or tcs accumulator Accumulator Piston Kit - 22841-04K

DPC good products, looks like good option for converter as OEM is junk.

Real trans pan to help case flex and cooling. I have Mag Hytec but Goerend makes good one .

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is this kit from DPC everything needed?

Is this slip in band a good one?

I’ve got a Derale deep pan on the way. Pretty much settled on the DPC converter, when a high end shop makes something lower priced I think the standards are higher. Also planning to get the DPC stamped flex plate with the converter.

Should be able to get started next weekend, assuming the pan and fluid make it here.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the HD2 kit in my truck. I wish I had just saved the money to do a custom valve body. I’m not totally unhappy with the transgo and I learned a lot installing it. I’m just not completely happy with it. I think that it’s a good kit to put on a stock truck in a stock trans. I’ll be ordering a custom valve body before too much longer.
What is it that you like or don’t like about the Transgo kit? There’s some options during install that might be help dial it in better.

·
Registered
865 Posts
What is it that you like or don’t like about the Transgo kit? There’s some options during install that might be help dial it in better.
1. Line pressures are still not quite high enough and the 2-3 shift is not firm enough. There’s a spring that you replace with a screw to adjust line pressure, the kit tells you to set it all of the way out against the stop. After doing the kit I finally found instructions from trans builders that say to set it to 1/4” to 5/16” from all the way out. I pulled my pan and set it to 5/16” and it is much better.

2. I would prefer that lockup happens in second gear and stays. This can be done with valve body mods (I don’t know how). The kit does not offer any input on that. There is however instructions to drill either 1 or 2 holes for firmness of the lockup. Do not drill 2 holes, only drill one. If you want a firmer lockup after that, go back in and drill a smaller second hole or enlarge the first hole a small amount.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts