Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 RAM2500 trans cooler line started leaking fluid and got really low and now it shudders bad after shifts into 2nd. Also pulled up a very steep drive way with a 1000lb load of hay and now no reverse. My current trans has a shift kit installed for when i pull my 9,500lb 5th wheel or 2 horse trailer and i liked the way it performed. 5.9 12v diesel all stock. What would be my best option to getting a replacement or mine repaired. Don't want to spend a lot on a super dupper built up trans but want something that is reliable. I have a guy i trust to do the R&R if needed. Getting to old to flat back it myself. What good inexpense rebuild places are there. I know i am asking for the moon. Thanks for any recommendations.

Darrell W

·
Super Moderator
24,479 Posts
My 97 RAM2500 trans cooler line started leaking fluid and got really low and now it shudders bad after shifts into 2nd. Also pulled up a very steep drive way with a 1000lb load of hay and now no reverse. My current trans has a shift kit installed for when i pull my 9,500lb 5th wheel or 2 horse trailer and i liked the way it performed. 5.9 12v diesel all stock. What would be my best option to getting a replacement or mine repaired. Don't want to spend a lot on a super dupper built up trans but want something that is reliable. I have a guy i trust to do the R&R if needed. Getting to old to flat back it myself. What good inexpense rebuild places are there. I know i am asking for the moon. Thanks for any recommendations.

Darrell W
If your wanting a local trans shop to rebuild it your location would help so in case a Member in your area would know who would be good.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your wanting a local trans shop to rebuild it your location would help so in case a Member in your area would know who would be good.
Sorry, I am out in San Bernadino/Riverside area of Southern California. I had a good guy i trusted that installed the shift kit awhile back(Partains Transmisions) but they are out of business after covid.

Darrell W

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could not find anything other than looks like the owner passed away in 2020.

Darrell W

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm sure you've hear it before. Good and inexpensive do not generally go together - although it partially depends on your definition of inexpensive.

I had to get my trans rebuilt in 2016 when a cooler line wore through. That cost me $2600 at a reputable shop in my area, - it was essentially a stock rebuild (which probably included typical mods as recommended in the ATSG manual or aftermarket companies and/or improved aftermarket parts for "routine towing" dependability - such as full-time cooler flow).

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Inglewood Transmission

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any decent online shops recommended? I expect to pay $2000.00+ easily. Would like to stay under $2500.00. I know a lot of the online shops are just grinding out rebuilds with no expertise in Dodge transmission. Would prefer someone that specializes in them but again asking for the moon.

Darrell W

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So what should i expect to pay for a stock remanufactured trans with all the updates and upgrades required by Dodge to be reliable? Are my prices unreasonable?

Darrell W

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
A stock rebuild usually about 3k.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Dodge/FCA doesn't require any updates/upgrades as these transmissions are long out of their radar - that comes from a shop's experience and what improved parts are available from the aftermarket. If you want to see what's available, look at the Sonnax and Transtar web sites. That will give you something to talk to individual shops about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts