Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

261 - 280 of 296 Posts

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,900 Posts
$300 for a synergy drag link, once and done. I ordered mine 5/19 they were backordered back then, I installed it a while ago and submitted the receipt for reimbursement this week. Will see if I get a check or not, but they sounded like I would.

the truck can be aligned again, probably what they meant was the steering wheel could not be aligned again. They are only welding drag links that can be properly torqued, once they grind the nuts apart and the part between them where the weld penetrated technically those nuts would most likely ever be able to be properly be re torqued unless removed and the surface made uniform again. I think RAM has a real pickle on their hands they will have to resolve in the future. Like said many times in this thread, there is no official statement they will replace them all with adjustable links in the future. Some assume they will, but nothing official at all.
Much like the water pump recall, as soon as I heard about it I went to Geno's and (with their recommendations) got a Gates pump and slapped it on.
Same thing with the drag-link, grid heater bolt disaster, etc, and whatever's next. :rofl

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-2018-general-discussion/2495399-synergy-drag-link.html#post28925669

-Ej-

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
Much like the water pump recall, as soon as I heard about it I went to Geno's and (with their recommendations) got a Gates pump and slapped it on.
Same thing with the drag-link, grid heater bolt disaster, etc, and whatever's next. :rofl-Ej-
But, but...what about the all important reimbursements?!?

Are you really content with just having fixed the problems? Really? Where's your entitlement urge?

Reactions: Electrojake

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,900 Posts
But, but...what about the all important reimbursements?!?

Are you really content with just having fixed the problems? Really?
Where's your entitlement urge?
I don't begrudge those that get the reimbursement.
Considering the aggravation that FCA put them thru I think they deserve the money.

If something big failed in my truck like a blown trans I'd certainly do my best to get FCA to honor the warranty and do the repairs on their dime.
After I got the truck back from the dealership my two options would be to...

A.) Pull the new trans myself and re-install it correctly replacing all the missing clips, clamps, and hardware. Fixing the stripped and/or missing bolts, and do things like using a torque wrench rather than a cheater-pipe to reinstall everything.

B.) Take the loss and just trade or sell the truck back to the dealership soon as the repairs were done.

Knowing that the repaired truck has been bastardized by the dealership's goon-squad (and that some 'other' poor slob will get stuck with it) is very unsettling but hey, I cant protect the whole world.

meh... You know my theory on this Jimmy...
If I never drive it it will never break and I can avoid the horrors of the dealership.
Pretty clever, eh? :SMART:

The rodent haven. . .

It's a win-win (other than the big dead spot on my lawn from sitting there since April 2016). :thumbsup:
-Ej-

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
If something big failed in my truck like a blown trans I'd certainly do my best to get FCA to honor the warranty and do the repairs on their dime.
After I got the truck back from the dealership my two options would be to...

A.) Pull the new trans myself and re-install it correctly replacing all the missing clips, clamps, and hardware. Fixing the stripped and/or missing bolts, and do things like using a torque wrench rather than a cheater-pipe to reinstall everything.

B.) Take the loss and just trade or sell the truck back to the dealership soon as the repairs were done.

-Ej-
For a second I thought I wrote the above. My sentiments exactly.
If it was only an axle assembly, for example, I think it'd be cheaper and easier just to get it all done by myself.

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,900 Posts
For a second I thought I wrote the above. My sentiments exactly.
If it was only an axle assembly, for example, I think it'd be cheaper and easier just to get it all done by myself.
The one key element here that makes the RAM 'the' truck to own is the fact that the engine & body are very user serviceable.
Even a non-mechanic like me can keep the engine / body / chassis in good running order. :thumbsup:

For instance...
Lets just say my turbo actuator started acting up. Although it would p!ss me off, (and I'd come here and cry about it) I could certainly fix it myself. The scheduled valve lash adjustment on the Cummins would be another good example.
I dont think the Scorpion is quite so user friendly. :w:

I'm a cranky old man with a cluttered one car garage. How could I possibly do "this" every time I need to make a simple repair???

Love my RAM. :thanks:
-Ej-

·
Registered
118 Posts
This^^^ One more reason I got rid of my Ford and went RAM!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I'm a cranky old man with a cluttered one car garage. How could I possibly do "this" every time I need to make a simple repair???

Love my RAM. :thanks:
-Ej-
Are you serious that you do not have a lift in your garage capable of lifting the body off like that. Now that is a real first world problem. #SARCASM. Boy would I love a lift in my garage, I would like a garage for that part.

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
Are you serious that you do not have a lift in your garage capable of lifting the body off like that. Now that is a real first world problem. #SARCASM. Boy would I love a lift in my garage, I would like a garage for that part.
I was going to respond to Ej that I wouldn't want to occupy the lift in the garage with a cab (not that I'd allow a Furd in it) when it's so easy to lift one with the forklift or crane instead.

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,900 Posts
My <cough> "shop" on a good day...

Where the RAM gets serviced... rain ,shine, day, night, etc...

Laying on your back at night with a flashlight in your teeth trying to find the last 10mm wrench that fell into the abyss.
All good fun. :beer
-Ej-

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
My <cough> "shop" on a good day...

Where the RAM gets serviced... rain ,shine, day, night, etc...

Laying on your back at night with a flashlight in your teeth trying to find the last 10mm wrench that fell into the abyss.
All good fun. :beer
-Ej-
Looks exactly like our shop, I just also have r/c boat, planes and helis in there in addition to the wife's Traxxas Slash and my Triumph Bonneville. Meanwhile, I change oil, filters, struts, steering gears, timing chains you name it in the gravel driveway...

I just drove a coworkers Vstrom the other day. Nice comfy riding position.

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,900 Posts
I just drove a coworkers Vstrom the other day. Nice comfy riding position.
My DL1000... The mother of all off-topic subjects!

Two Yamaha's and a Harley didnt please me as much as the Big-V.
45,000 miles and never a problem. :thumbsup:
Never gonna' sell the V.

Easy as pie to tear-down. . .

And re-build as needed. . . :laugh:

No drag-link to worry about either,
-Ej- :beer

Reactions: Lins

·
Registered
39 Posts
FCA Ram customer service is a joke I have a case # open with them stating the recall is not satisfactory, now they want me to go back to a dealer to open a STAR case.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
FCA Ram customer service is a joke I have a case # open with them stating the recall is not satisfactory, now they want me to go back to a dealer to open a STAR case.
What do you expect? FCA just needs the NHTSA to be content with their fix, not every Ram owner that complains about their drag link being welded. If you think it's unsafe, complain to the NHTSA.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
What do you expect? FCA just needs the NHTSA to be content with their fix, not every Ram owner that complains about their drag link being welded. If you think it's unsafe, complain to the NHTSA.
Problem is, unless done poorly, the welds probably are safe. What may eventually happen is a class action lawsuit. The affected RAM owners will all get a lovely $50 credit toward a new RAM while the lawyers get rich.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Problem is, unless done poorly, the welds probably are safe. What may eventually happen is a class action lawsuit. The affected RAM owners will all get a lovely $50 credit toward a new RAM while the lawyers get rich.
That's my point, it is SAFE, just an inconvenience for some apparently. FCA won't care as long as the NHTSA is happy. If people complain to the NHTSA stating that due to the recall fix, their next alignment cost them the price of an alignment PLUS the cost of a new Mopar adjustable drag link they may do something about it. I'm not holding my breath. I've been holding off bringing mine in, but it's time for some warranty work so I'll likely book it in after the September long weekend.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Yep, when I called FCA to complain about this lame "fix", she kept saying "but the NHTSA.....blah, blah, blah" basically saying that makes it ok. It's maddening to say the least.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yep, when I called FCA to complain about this lame "fix", she kept saying "but the NHTSA.....blah, blah, blah" basically saying that makes it ok. It's maddening to say the least.
I had the exact same dialogue and experience and even escalated the conversation to a "supervisor/manger" who was basically a giant and rude donkeys rear end. The thing that frustrated me the most was the way he kept stating and repeating, "we only have to abide by and keep NHTSA happy, take it up with them". From that point, it was even more evident than previous interactions with FCA that we, as owners, matter not one bit. Love my Cummins, but screw the truck and components wrapped around it and screw FCA on any future purposes once my RAM quits. Now that I have basically fixed ~10 recalls the right way, myself, hopefully that day will be a long ways off.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Right, and the thing is the NHTSA couldn't care less about a non adjustable steering wheel since it has nothing to do with safety.

Reactions: sthrnromr and Lins

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Exactly that. The only ones short-changed by this whole process are the ones that don't matter. Us, as owners.
Well, I'm going to bring mine in finally after the September long weekend. I found one nut loose when the truck was about a year old. Loctite has kept it tight since. If they determine the threads are satisfactory (I doubt they'll even check) and just weld the current setup, I'm going to re-check my toe setting after and grind off the weld and readjust if needed. I'll decide then if I'll re-weld or just loctite it again. It really isn't a big deal like people are making it out to be.

261 - 280 of 296 Posts