313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
January 25, 2019
FCA Recall #
V06
NHTSA Recall #
19V-021
Safety Defect/Non Compliance Description and Safety Risk

Some vehicles may have been built with an outboard steering linkage jam nut that could loosen allowing one end of the drag link to separate from the adjuster sleeve. A drag link separation can result in a loss of directional steering control, which can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning.

Repair Description

Inspect the torque values. If the torque values meet requirement, the nuts will be welded to the adjuster sleeve. If the torque values do not meet requirement, the drag link assembly will be replaced.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I actually took my truck in for this loose but. They tightened it up but didn’t weld it to my knowledge.

Wonder if it will meet the torque value and pass them they’ll weld it. I’d rather have a new linkage than a bandaide. That’s a horrible fix.

What if it needs adjusted????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
The recall info i see online says "remedy not yet available", which means to me that this is just an interim step and the real fix will come later. It is about time they got to this. The thread engagement of the nuts and sleeve on the link ends is extremely loose. It doesn't surprise me a bit that it will jump threads. Notice that the recall says "may have been built with an outboard steering linkage jam nut that could loosen allowing one end of the drag link to separate from the adjuster sleeve". The only way for that to happen is if the sleeve jumps threads; the sleeve cannot rotate if only one nut is loose. This also fits with what people have experienced where the wheel suddenly is off by 1/4 turn or more; not gradually but all at once. I have been waiting for this recall for a few years.

If they weld the nuts to the sleeve, you'll have to angle grind them loose if you need to adjust the drag link. I doubt there is an alignment shop that will do that, or one that will tack weld them again when done. Loctite has worked fine for me so far, and I painted marks to make it easier to see if the nuts were coming loose again.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any one have a picture of the part they are talking about?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Just looked at mine, the nut on the passenger can be turned by hand and there are no paint marks to be seen on either nut.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Just looked at mine, the nut on the passenger can be turned by hand and there are no paint marks to be seen on either nut.
Better get a big wrench on that thing ASAP. Dangerous to drive that way.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
If you think about it, once the steering wheel has been adjusted straight, you can weld this adjustment. Later if steering wheel center changes it could only be loose, bent or worn out parts causing this change?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
If you think about it, once the steering wheel has been adjusted straight, you can weld this adjustment. Later if steering wheel center changes it could only be loose, bent or worn out parts causing this change?
If that was true it would have been a solid bar from the factory. When you adjust the track bar for an alignment you often need to adjust the drag link to recenter the steering wheel. Welding it is a very bad idea, every last drag link made is adjustable for a reason.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Stupid question...i am not near my truck now and mine never loosened....

I am going to see if I can torque it down more...

To tighten bolt on passenger side, direction is towards the front or rear?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,607 Posts

I don’t recall off hand but if you look at the angle of the threads it should be pretty apparent which way to tighten.

·
Registered
6 Posts

That side is the left hand threads. You hold the wrench on the collar towards the back of the truck and pull the wrench on the loc-nut towards the front of the truck.

This is what I used on the nut(1.60") with a 12" crescent wrench on the collar, after putting a liberal amount of blue loc-tite on the threads. SnoKing

·
Registered
128 Posts
That side is the left hand threads. You hold the wrench on the collar towards the back of the truck and pull the wrench on the loc-nut towards the front of the truck.

This is what I used on the nut(1.60") with a 12" crescent wrench on the collar, after putting a liberal amount of blue loc-tite on the threads. SnoKing

Awesome, thanks!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
RAM surely knows about lock tight, and the fact they are choosing to weld it as a temporary or god forbid a permanent fix is concerning. Only reason you would not be able to torque it is a flaw in the material of the threads, meaning lock tight might be only a marginal fix. Can anyone think of a different reason why they cannot torque it? This type of adjustment on a drag link with lockbolts has only been around for probably 100 years or more. The pressure on this component will significantly increase with wider tires or low air pressure so be real cautious if that is you.

1 - 20 of 295 Posts