Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few articles about some possible changes coming to Ram HD's soon. These changes include Kelderman airbag suspension on 3500 DRW (like on the Long Hauler concept truck), Ram Box on 2500/3500 to include DRW, and an 8 spd transmission. I was really hoping these changes would be released for 2012, but since Ram just announced 2012 pricing and said there are no significant changes from 2011, I guess I'll have to wait and see if there's going to be a 2012.5. Another change was the use of DEF...again maybe 2012.5 or 13. Anyone have any gouge on the above mentioned? If you have links to share, please post. Most of what I've read has been on PickupTrucks.com: Pickup Truck News, Reviews, Community and Help Finding a New or Used Pickup.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
JMO, but xxxx.5's have usually been reserved for engine changes relating to Jan 1 emission mandates. I don't think there are any 1/01/12 mandates effecting Ram.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JMO, but xxxx.5's have usually been reserved for engine changes relating to Jan 1 emission mandates. I don't think there are any 1/01/12 mandates effecting Ram.
The 2011.5s were the HO, unless I'm mistaken it had nothing to do with emission mandates, but more to do with uping torque to compete with GM and Ford. While it may be a pipe dream, I'm hoping they come out with 2012.5 to up towing capacity to lead the HD market. Some people have posted about how the current tow rating are ridiculous and most people rarely use their trucks at max capacity...I must be one of the few that do actually need a truck that can tow that much since I will be buying a toy hauler that weighs 21K. Sure wish I could afford a Sport Chasis!:drool2:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If your going to be hauling 21k your going to need a lot more than a 3500 Dodge. I have hauled around 25k with an F700 and it is no joke. I think you will just beat the crap out of the Dodge.

·
Cowgirls are from Venus
1,724 Posts
Honey, you'd break the poor tranny on that little truck pulling around that much weight. You need a heavier-duty truck to haul that trailer you're lookin' at.

The 2011.5s were the HO, unless I'm mistaken it had nothing to do with emission mandates, but more to do with uping torque to compete with GM and Ford. While it may be a pipe dream, I'm hoping they come out with 2012.5 to up towing capacity to lead the HD market. Some people have posted about how the current tow rating are ridiculous and most people rarely use their trucks at max capacity...I must be one of the few that do actually need a truck that can tow that much since I will be buying a toy hauler that weighs 21K. Sure wish I could afford a Sport Chasis!:drool2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your going to be hauling 21k your going to need a lot more than a 3500 Dodge. I have hauled around 25k with an F700 and it is no joke. I think you will just beat the crap out of the Dodge.
The 2011.5 Ram 3500 HO Max Tow is rated to pull a 22,700lb trailer. The toy hauler will actually weigh around 17K empty and I figure about 19K with all my crap in it...the gvwr is 21K. I will be well within weight limits on what this truck can tow so it not will "beat the crap out of the Dodge." If I had an older Ram DRW, then yes it would beat the crap out of it. And if the truck can't handle the weight it was designed to tow, then that's what the 100K powertrain warranty is for. I know a Sport Chasis would be better, but I can't drive a SC as my daily vehicle.

·
Cowgirls are from Venus
1,724 Posts
Oooooohhhh, I figured you meant 21k empty! 21k full is a different story and shouldn't be much of a problem for that pickup :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts