Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Well, finally got the appraiser out to look over the truck.

Estimate was for over $14,000!

Meaning the total with the work already done was over $17,000

I'm surprised they didn't total it out for that money.

·
Registered
10,829 Posts
Holy cow! I would not have guessed that much.
I suppose you may have preferred having it totaled?

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I was mistaken, just received an email with the estimate, it's 14,060 total, including what was already fixed.

And, no, didn't really want them to total it, they wouldn't have given me enough for it, considering the balance I still owe on it.

·
Registered
10,829 Posts
Alright, at least that part worked out for you then. Not getting it totaled, that is.

·
Cummins Dude
2,687 Posts
Rolling up the interstate thursday afternoon, was in the left lane about to pass a couple of 18 wheelers moving pretty slow.

Just as I get to the first truck, he suddenly changes lanes over in front of me and hits his brakes, apparently to allow the other truck ahead of him to move over for another truck pulling out off the shoulder.

The guy whipped over so fast and hit his brakes, that I couldn't slow down in time and I hit him hard.

The 18 wheelers KEPT GOING...DIDN'T STOP.

I pulled off onto the inside shoulder and median and stopped.

I didn't see any company name on the back of the 18 wheeler trailer and no way I could get the license plate number.

The airbags didn't deploy, and I hit the steering wheel hard into my chest, still hurts!!!

I guess this is partly my fault, probably should have slowed down when I came up on the slower moving trucks, but didn't expect the bonehead to suddenly swerve over in front of me, he didn't signal either.

So, crash bent the radiator support back, pushing the radiator into the fan clutch scraping holes in it, bumper pushed into the intercooler ripping a hole in it. Tweaked the upper engine compartment frame, front fenders, cracked headlights, bent the a/c condenser, broke or bent all kinds of mounts, bent and pushed back the fenders, trashed the hood.

State cops came out, took my statement, but without any info on the 18 wheeler, there wasn't much they could do about him, he was long gone.

The wrecker that came out and hauled my truck off turned out to be from a body shop at the closest town. Turned out to be a great place with a bunch of great friendly employees. They offered, of course, to do the whole repair job for me, but it would have taken them 10 days or so, having to have parts shipped in and what not. What I had them do was just get the truck driveable, so they pulled it apart, literally PULLED IT APART with their frame machine to get the radiator and intercooler out, found both those parts and some of the supporting parts, at a RAM dealer one town over from them, and got them installed and the truck back in driveable form in just one day. Great job they did, saved me from being stuck there for days.

I was on my way to get a trailer when this happened, didn't want to lose out on that, so after they got my truck driveable, I went ahead and drove on up and picked up the trailer and hauled it back home. ZERO ISSUES with driving it, even with the front end smashed.

New radiator is great, truck hasn't run this cool with a trailer on it since before the water pump crapped out on it. Never topped 200 even in 93 degree heat and a big head wind coming back through arkansas. Truck was cool, I was sweating my hiney off with no a/c!

pics...

Holy Shiet! @Ltngdrvr

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
The only problem with a dashcam, is they don't only capture the stupid stuff other drivers do...:(
That might be true, but they are still good to have. Fast forward to about the 1:05 mark...

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
So, I just got my truck back from the body shop.

Looks pretty good, lots of pretty new parts.

One new part I wasn't expecting was the cover between the radiator and the grill top, apparently an updated part from RAM because it didn't have the "HEAVY DUTY" bold lettering on the old one. Really wasn't anything wrong with the old one, but they replaced it anyway.

And, my truck is about 100 pounds lighter now, they vacuumed the driver's side floor! :D

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Who vandalized your license plate? :confused:

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Not to doubt your story, hit and run is a serious thing. But, who hit who??? Lol I doubt the driver even felt that little love tap you gave him if he was loaded. I've been hit twice in my KW, and both times someone had to tell me I was hit. One from the rear like you, and one from the side he slide under my trailer and then I ran him over. Never felt a thing. In both cases the guy that hit me was drunk, speeding, and tailgating.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I'm for a dashcam also. I had a guy run me off the road in my PU we were both turning left at the light him in the left lane and he just came right on over into me, and up the curb and into the ditch I went. The whole time this guy was waving his hands saying I cut HIM off...It's a good thing my passenger and I got a good look at him, and his little RED truck, we will meet again I'm sure.>:) Really, get a dash cam! Another time I got sideswiped in my PU by an undercover police car. I was sitting at a stop sign and this black cruiser blew through, swerved and clipped my bumper. The guy swore I hit him and he should know because he was driving a cop car. Funny thing was when he stopped he got out the passenger side to ask me what happened.... So I'm wondering the same thing what are you doing driving like that in a cop car? I take a look inside, and there's a teenage girl in the back seat curled up trying to hide and scared to death. She was the driver, and the car was the guys fathers going for a joy ride with some under aged jail bait. Would you believe I was to blame? Get a dash cam!!!

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm just surprised/mystified that your airbag didn't go off if the crash did that much damage and you hit the steering wheel hard enough that your chest was sore a day after. You're probably better off that it didn't, but I'm amazed that it didn't.

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I'm just surprised/mystified that your airbag didn't go off if the crash did that much damage and you hit the steering wheel hard enough that your chest was sore a day after. You're probably better off that it didn't, but I'm amazed that it didn't.
Oh, yeah, surprised me too.

And, of course, it wouldn't have been just one air bag, steering wheel, seat, and side curtain probably. Would have kept me from being able to drive it home with just the mechanical repairs done.

And, my chest hurt way longer than just the next day, hurt so bad I couldn't take a deep breath for over a week. Still gives me a twinge if I sleep wrong.

·
Registered
10,829 Posts
You never did the air bag recall, did you, Ltngdrvr?
Or maybe that one's for my 1500...because they can go off whenever.

·
Registered
922 Posts
In a frontal collision, just front bags and seatbelt pretensioners fire. Side and curtain bags stay put. Still a mess you don't need.

Truck looks good! My 2018 says "Heavy Duty" on the pad under the hood.

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Found out they replaced the air box assembly as well, apparently had a broken mounting tab. Hadn't paid any attention to it until it threw some codes that pointed to the sensors on it, so I checked all their connections and cleared the codes and they haven't come back. Just back from a run up to Indiana, now at almost 490K.

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
By the way, they also replaced the fan shroud, which I had just replaced only a short time back, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, just replaced as a matter of course with all the other radiator bits and pieces.

So, if anyone needs a like new radiator fan shroud, the part that is the plastic/polyurethane/rubber part that seems to deteriorate over time, I have one available.

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Found out they replaced the air box assembly as well, apparently had a broken mounting tab. Hadn't paid any attention to it until it threw some codes that pointed to the sensors on it, so I checked all their connections and cleared the codes and they haven't come back. Just back from a run up to Indiana, now at almost 490K.
I’ll bet that since they replaced the entire box assembly, it most likely came with a brand new air filter in it as well.

My 2013 RAM 3500 (New Holland Blue) had a replacement RAM Air box.....it was equipped complete with sensors, lid, and air filter.

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I’ll bet that since they replaced the entire box assembly, it most likely came with a brand new air filter in it as well.

My 2013 RAM 3500 (New Holland Blue) had a replacement RAM Air box.....it was equipped complete with sensors, lid, and air filter.
Yeah, I wondered about that, but didn't look inside, just checked the sensor connectors.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts